#12 Mark Baguley

Fkg fast track mcneice ASAP

4 Likes

how do we get it out of defensive 50 when gleeson and hurley don’t have the ball? Johanissen does almost ■■■■ all defensively. got a norm smith.

1 Like

Goddard? Stanton? Kelly? etc? I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. Plenty can get the ball out.

Bulldogs have plenty of offensive runners down back just like they have small defenders who aim to…negate and defend. Like I said you want McKenna in as an attacking back than fair enough but he’s no small defender.

You simple can’t have those 3 and dea and baguley in the same side.

Stantons kicking isn’t exceptional, its safe. same with dea. Goddard starts to feel the pressure when hes the only one that can do the kick and ends up turning it over.

I’ll concede kelly as i think him mentoring conor would do more for his development than anyone else.

but the point is a lot of our ‘small’ defenders aren’t that good offensively. or for the matter that good at locking down.

If you have to choose 1 of mcg or mck you go conor every time for r1. but ideally you put both in with kelly and goddard and dea/baggas to mentor them.

I think 2017 is a throw away year to do team development rather than the individuals development of 2016.

No. [quote=“Dell, post:1092, topic:472, full:true”]

The thing that is frustrating about Dea is that despite being deceptively good at most things and especially in light of the fact that he’s a hard nut type of player who you’d think would thrive - he’s terrible playing on genuine smalls (or at least he was for the 22 games we saw him play last year). He got smashed by Betts (as many have) and a couple of other smalls last year.

VS Bags… he may be the lesser of two evils though come Rd 1.
[/quote]
It may be a case of playing Dea on Sicily though. Which then gives us a plan B if the other small defenders are getting a bath.

??

We’re not talking about that. We’re talking about a shutdown role on the Hawks’ 3 very dangerous smalls.

I’m with you 110% I want McKenna to be our Johannisen. The point is he’s not a Bags/Dea or even McNiece. Will put my hand up and say I didn’t watch enough of McNiece to know how he would go as a pure back pocket but if he’s half done I’d say promote him instantly and he can replace Baguley before Connor plays that role.

EDIT: And as stated I would go McG 10 out of 10 times over Connor for that role because he can actually lock down and was great at it in the champs as I understand.

1 Like

I sorta was, it was my point was you bring in mckenna for his disposal every time. There is nothing a lock down defender can do when our zone crumbles like it dd today.

I also don’t rate negating players that can’t do anything once they get the ball. I accept you need some i’d rather have hartley in than ambrose. so what if we stop 1 of hawks smalls. they have cyril, breust, gunston, puopolo. you can’t stop them all. you can only try and out score them.

■■■■ they’ll have jaeger whos been killing it.

we wither get in a 100+ point shootout or lose trying to stop them.

Fair. It probably raises an interesting philosophical question re: McNiece.

I sorta felt like we drafted him because we discovered the loophole and thought we could have a free 45th player on our list. Do we actually think he can make it? He’s physically mature and there’s no “learn his craft in the VFL” considering he’s been there for 2 yrs. We have a spot to upgrade him in addition to Smack… why not play him against Hawthorn if we decide Baguley is in unplayable form?

1 Like

I think he’ll only be truly effective for us if he gets ball in hand often. his peg is a ■■■■■■■ scud missile.

Usually theres nothing a lock down defender can do when our zone breaks. which it is prone to do. i reckon go for players that can use the ball and concede the odd tearing of our zone if it means we can score 4 more goals a gain through good hb ball use.

1 Like

Here we are… after years of drafting half back flankers/back pockets we have none that are any good #bringbackdylanvanunen

3 Likes

I dunno, I can’t see that happening

we draft slow honest hbf that aren’t elite kicks or a bean poles.

sometimes it works out like marty. other times you get ashby, nick obrien, ross.

But they all had great character and leadership qualities

1 Like

in ashby’s case the sickest private school boy haircut ever.

I was just looking over our draft history and it said that we drafted a guy 2 years ago called Alex Morgan? Anyone seen him play? Apparently a half back with blistering speed and a good user of the ball?

P.S. I’d completely forgotten about him as an option for our search for a rebounding half back who isn’t ancient.

hamstrings made of overcooked 2-minute noodles.

2 Likes

NOB was a forward/midfielder at U18 level.

we threw him back and midfield at vfl.

Doesn’t change what he was. At U18 level he was more of an undersized leading forward. We got him and Steinberg during that failed mid/small forward search period.

1 Like

I’d play Mckenna over Baguley. Agree that Mckenna does not offer much defensively. However Baguley is not offering anything other than turnovers at the moment.

2 Likes