Myers

Hooker

Brown

All 28 or near enough.

Hmm I think I need to work on my sarcasm

4 Likes

Hate it when that happens …:anguished:

3 Likes

It doesn’t work like that - existing contract + announced term = more than the announced term. It is messy language to say Michael Hibberd had 1 year remaining on his Essendon contract and Melbourne signed him for 3 years - better to just say you’ve signed Hibberd on a 4 year deal.

After every trade you need to sign a new contract with the new club, so any existing contract will get amalgamated into the new one - though there can be a fair bit of horse trading around the sides of that like:

• Is the new club in a position to just take over the existing contract?
  • Is the original club willing to pay a portion of the existing contract to get the deal done?
  • Is the player amenable to having the existing $$$ smoothed over the duration of the new contract? (500k existing & 300k new 2nd year vs. 400k x2)
  • Is there any options/bonus clauses in the existing contract?

Bird signed for 2 years, which included the year remaining on the Sydney contract.

8 Likes

Really appreciate the in depth explanation. Thanks heaps!

Bird has to be the most overrated player on our list.

Old, slow, ordinary kick

He played ok last year as number 2-3 mid due to our team not having mids. He wouldn’t play that role this or next year.

If he’s better than Howlett it’s splitting hairs, neither will take us forward.

4 Likes

Yes I too have found it odd that an 18 possession, including some blind hacks forward when he had time to look and hit up a leading player, as been lorded so highly. If I hadn’t watched the game myself and just read on hear how hardly done by he has been, I would have expected a Dangerfield type performance. But no it was just something similar to what Myers, Howlett, Langford & Lav have produced. I would pick all of Lang, Lav, BBB, Mutch and Redman before Bird.

1 Like
7 Likes

Why isn’t this guy in the team?
I refuse to support the team or watch any games until he is named
We have an INSIDE MID from SYDNEY in the VFL TEAM
This is an outrage.

He’s no superstar but we’ve got plenty of sub par players getting regular games.

1 Like

His 1 game was head & shoulders above anything Howlett has produced this year. In that 1 game he had 2 centre clearances & 4 insides 50’s. They are the areas we have most struggled in all year. His 2016 was very good & again a better year than any in Howletts career. I don’t think anyone would have a problem with Bird missing out if we were playing Mutch or Langford in his place but when guys like Howlett, Myers & Colyer have stunk it up all year there is no justification for Bird not getting more games. Its poor selection choices plain & simple.

9 Likes

Not sure if this got mentioned anywhere but Bluey McKenna was on the Footy Panel podcast, mentioned Bird only came in for one game but played very well. So Bird’s got supporters higher up, just not enough it seams.

1 Like

Correct

Gets better every game he doesn’t play

2 Likes

Which is again an upgrade on the guys who seem to be getting worse the more games we gift them.

5 Likes

You’re trading in a 1977 Datsun Stanza for a 78 Holden Sunbird. Either way we’re not winning any races.

4 Likes

There’s still races to be won - that’s why the selections have been so frustrating. Play the kids if we want development, if not then pick the best 22 - which is not all of Howlett, Myers & Colyer. I see no reason why any of them give us a better chance of getting finals experience into Zerrett, Parish JD etc - that experience for mine is super important & worth playing for.

4 Likes

Is better than and deserves a game more than

Myers
Howlett
Dea
Langford
Lav
Colyer
Stanton

1 Like

Well, I think you have already answered your question. That list isn’t hated by Whoosh like Bird is.

Thankyou for your input, … Craig’s Dad.

We had a Sunbird. First car I remember. The day we were cleaning it to trade it in for a VC Commodore, dad discovered the button for the hatchback, under the dashboard. Never used it. Cool story, hey? There are subtle parallels…

1 Like