Game Day Thread. Elimination Final Vs Swans

Let’s hope it’s like the 83 GF.

Reckon Brisbane would have shown more effort then our soft ■■■■ side,

2 Likes

Watched the game on TV with visitors at our place & found it hard to see the tactics in play during the match.

Did we go man on man, loose man in defence, zone off ??

They seemed to always have a loose man in defence that picked us off whenever we went forward in the 1st half.

1 Like

Maybe? I have game pass, it’s only been added since the finals

Those games against Melbourne and Carlton were an absolutely horrific display of skills. I can understand a good team having a bad day, but we had several, and it wasn’t because a poor team played well. That game against Melbourne was one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately I think it was an early reflection of what we’ve seen towards the end of this season.

I still love you Essendon, Bombers, Donners, Dons…Thank you for an exciting, brave, goal-kicking brand of adrenaline football over the 2017 season. You gave me much to cheer about when I was feeling down. You restored pride to the club. And you showed glimpses of a promising future. Beaten by a better team today, oh well… a dream has to end somewhere.
Enjoy your rest and we will dream with you again next season.

4 Likes

Yes, this is part of the cycle that has given us16 premierships.

1 Like

We are a very soft team and it kills me. Not one of our players got in any of the Swans faces at the start of the game. We are intimidated and have no answers to aggression. We are going nowhere until we get some hard edge players.

2 Likes

For me the question is whether it’s 1982 or 2009. For those of you who remember, Essendon was said to suffer from “Eliminitis” in 1982. We broke through for a few finals wins in 1983. In 2009 I was hoping that the elimination final thrashing by Adelaide would spur us on in 2010 in a similar fashion, but we all know what happened then.

I think 2018 is going to be a critical year for the club. If they can recover and learn from this rather than falling in a heap, who knows they might even win a final. But history shows it’s not a given for that to happen. A real challenge for the club to show it can improve on the image of being a mediocre team that at best will get thrashed in the first week of the finals.

1 Like

We were putrid since the Saints game basically,

A very ordinary display today. We obviously need some more speedy, skilful midfielders and another key defender. Still, we moved from last to seventh and won four times as many games as last year. I hope our brains-trust see what we need and do something about recruiting/delisting as necessary. I think we have the right coach, but I think we need some more/better players. Woosha has now taken two sides from last to finals. He’s the one for me. There are a number of players who should not be with us next year. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to get rid of players who are contracted for some more years.

1 Like

I reckon to have made a good fist of it today required all our best 22 having played the last 4 to 6 weeks at least, and in top form and fitness.

W/out Clunk, and with Raz & Hurls both coming back off injury, the former not having played for a month and greeny out too, it was always going to be hard up there against these guys.

The late run of soft tissues etc, really cruelled the latter part of the season for us,… and ultimately pulled the rug out from under any serious chance we had in the finals, and we just didn’t/don’t have the quality of back up to cover them that you need just yet.

Really bummed that Jobe had to go out in such a hiding though, he deserved better.

2 Likes

13 years. Not a single final win.

What a cycle.

1 Like

■■■■■■ Carlton have won more finals than us recently that’s how bad we are. I wan’t see some massive improvement next season because I’m not coping another EF only to get belted again.

C’mon FFS that 15 minutes of footy to start the second was the best footy I’ve seen in a while. Sydney were incredible. iced in the second it was blistering. Even most sydney fans couldn’t believe they generated it.

Nah, today just proved the absolute obvious which everyone knows, our midfield is just not good enough.

Mind you it was just really over emphasised by a seriously good display by the opposition.

Now how do we go about snagging Josh Kelly again?

1 Like

The Essendon Football Club was formed in 1871. If we’re talking cycles, we go right back to the era of bicycles.

I honestly believe we choose the right players a lot more often than not, but the club is absolutely shitful at developing players.

3 Likes

What rot.

But John promised we would better in the second half of the year

2 Likes

Your kidding right?

Look you can’t beat a side that good with a dad’s army midfield.

Sydney has their side cherry ripe, clock strikes 12 premiership window/as good as it gets for them.

We played like where we are at 8-16 quality vs a side at its peak of its powers.

God we needed Hooker and another good clearance mid tonight.

Along with a massive defensive effort to stop that run on. Who let’s in what 7 goals in 15 minutes? Christ, I felt like a Gold Coast supporter circa 2011 against us. It made my eyes water.