#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Ignores Hep and Irish to make that kick himself. Love it.

5 Likes

Tippa?

Took note of that too. Knew exactly where he wanted to go, saw Stewart & how he could get away from his man long before Stew himself knew where he’d run to I reckon. Kids got vision.

Also wondered if Wooshas instructions where something like, . “NO unnecessary fkn handballls!!” (Would make sense …) And like a good kid, was following the cockroaches instructions to the letter.

Wonder what might have happened if BJ had of been 10 or 20 feet away demanding the ball …

Que?

Never heard that one Dek?

Players nickname for a / the Coach.

(Not derisively …)

1 Like

fairly common rhyming slang I would’ve thought. shortened to cocka or cocko.

Possibly, but also possible that the kid is just feeling more confortable to run and carry and take the game on, as he did throughout his U18 career?

I’d like to think on that basis the kid would’ve ignored BJ in exactly the same way that he ignored Hepp and Irish.

I think had he hand balled to McKenna the Cats player to his right potentially could have turned and tackled him almost straight away.

What likely happened was McGrath held onto ball expecting to perhaps draw that man, who actually just kept running fwd and thus he just took the kick himself as Stewart broke into space.

It’s that kind of quick thinking that will see McGrath excel in the midfield, definitely made the right decision. It’s beyond frustrating seeing handballs go to players who aren’t in better positions/end up getting tackled quickly.

But as was said above if it was Goddard or Zerrett also streaming past one wonders if he’d have done same thing. You’d like to think he would.

1 Like

Nope!
You learn sumpin every day.

2 Likes

You certainly do Ollie …,

Like yesterday, I learnt that when your phone, your computer, & your wi fi connection all decide to have hissy fits all on the same day, . you can get very close to having a Technology induced mental breakdown. :scream:

2 Likes

Unless of course Hep was telling him to ‘carry and go long’

1 Like

Yes, but look at the speed and overlap run of Irish. Look at the players in space.
I agree, the decision and the execution was as good as it gets.

me posting this is starting to become a bit of a yearly ritual:

At the end of the season, nine AFL personalities (typically administrators and All-Australian team selectors) vote for five of the nominees, with their top selections earning five votes, their second selection earning four votes, etc. The player who receives the most votes is the winner. The current selection panel includes AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, AFL Football Operations Manager Mark Evans, AFL National Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan and former players Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.[4]

They will find a reason not to give it to him

Probably needs to move into the midfield in order to showcase his talents and win it. If they leave him down back all year, it will be much more difficult ( yes Callum Mills won it last year, but he was taking lots of intercept marks and played in a top team)

That’s probably the longest i’ve seen him kick so far.

Does he have much more length on his kick?

Earlier on in the year he would have hand balled that to one of those players running past.

That piece of plays shows an increase in his confidence of his ability.

Good signs! (I hate that term but I said it anyway.)

1 Like

contested possession
clearance
handball
handball receive
one bounce
70 metres gained
goal assist

(gees connor has some serious speed)

You would think Marchbank would be his biggest threat in terms of his rising star chances. Is 7th in the AFL for marks just above JD. Not bad for a young tall. It is his 3rd season in the system though IIRC, so that will go against him.

2 Likes

He’s starting to get comfortable and believe that he belongs at this level. And the more this happens the more damaging he’ll become.

2 Likes

Building respect by doing the team thing and playing an accountable role, we have seen glimpses but looking forward to when he gets a licence to all out attack.

3 Likes