#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

reminds me of heath shaw how he runs out of defence, albeit with more athleticism and quicker hands.

can so imagine him tearing a game apart off hb or through the midfield one day

1 Like

Bj? Yeah nah.

I donā€™t think he has really got up to full speed yet either.

When he does burst he leaves guys behind, very quick first five steps and his best asset athletically is his top end speed.

Not sure how often AFL players really use that ā€œtop end speedā€

Itā€™s all about the first 5 steps power. Of which young Pidge has spades of.

Youā€™re right though in that his best asset athletically would be that top end speed which you would see in 400m & 800m sprinters - but youā€™d so rarely need to use that on an AFL field.

In any case - he is an absolute star in the making.

I think Burton from hawthorn is quite impressive too. It will be them top two at the moment. SPP has done sfa since his first two games.

2 Likes

Nah, heā€™s had a couple of decent games recently.

you look at Danger - what makes him so special is his breakaway/explosive speed but he can retain it for longer. such a good engine - also makes his disposal better (e.g. longer, more accurate kicks) when the gut run is over.
McG is already running out games amazingly well - bodes v v well for the future Raz likewise. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s a string Tippa can add to his bow too - will make him an absolute superstar.

1 Like

Tippa can already run out games amazingly well.

Has been one of the more consistent 4th quarter players this year for me. (As in actual 4th quarter player, not 4 quarters of football)

running out games is what Zach does - getting to contest after contest throughout the game, including the 4th. Zerrett has trained the house down to achieve the required fitness base. McG seems to have a very good base already.
Iā€™m not bagging Tippa but he stills fades in and out (def improving in that aspect)- most prob because of fitness. If we could see that more often from him - then boy o boy wow wee.

And some shocking first quarters and even halves, although thatā€™s improved recently

Youā€™re comparing apples with oranges there.

Tippa is a forward, and not expected to get to contest after contest. He is however expected to run and chase and provide options for 4 qtrs, which I think he has done all year. I suspect people assume he doesnā€™t have a big tank but he actually does.

Parish is a good comparison to Zach - Parish canā€™t run out a full 4 quarter game yet, and generally fades after 3 qtr time.

There was a point where Zach ran behind to support a player and he turned and McG was behind him doing the Zerrett thing of running past for support him, Zerrett then turned and delivered a perf pass to Goddard but it was pretty awesome to see

Interesting perception. I thought if there was one knock on Danger it was his kicking in particular his ability to torch the footy when running at full speed.

4 Likes

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re using sarca-font. Danger is a ripper on the runā€¦

Nope, 100% not. Reckon heā€™s particularly adept at butchering it by foot at times. Got Geelong supporting mates who tend to agree. Itā€™s the only knock on his game. Havenā€™t seen much of the Cats this year but it was noticeable last year.

4 Likes

I was just using Zach as an example of a player that doesnā€™t only perform in the 4th but also thru to it too. Obv different roles.
He can still improve in that area.

3rd in the comp for clangers @ 5.8
He does take the game on like few others though.
Also Disp Eff at 66.4 %

If you have a look at the clanger leaders itā€™s basically a list of elite midfielders. Having a high clanger count is not necessarily something to be ashamed of!

1 Like

At full pace there are few bigger butchers of the ball than Danger. When he steadies heā€™s deadly with his ball use but he seems to blaze away a hell of a lot at pace.

Probably the only knock on him, the guy is a freak otherwise.

Yeah, Nah, go back and go average not total and itā€™s a different story