#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

He can be introduced gradually getting some training time with the midfield group, then in games, first running off the back of the square at centre bounces, second attending stoppages in defence with his man, then cycling through the midfield like Tippa, and Raz by the end of the season, then his second pre-season training full time with the midfield .

I would start playing him in the guts now and leave him there till the end of the season and then train with the mids all pre season

As ASAP as possible!

8 Likes

I’d say, … ASATCTHR

If not ASAPper or possibler

Yep in guts even David King agrees.

So you’re using David King to STRENGTHEN your argument yeah?

4 Likes

No I’ve always wanted McGrath in the middle.

Even Billy Idol can see that (from Adam Sandler’s latest good film), or Stevie Wonder.

1 Like

Patience

1 Like

Burton will win on the sob story of his leg.

It’s done already, everybody is playing for second place.

Yep add in the nice token team of the week chb position. Sportsbet are already paying out, sorry Andy maybe next year.

I was one of the ones who wanted him as our first pick and was delighted when we got him. He has however exceeded my expectations that’s for sure. For those wanting him as a mid already, I say not yet and for a couple of reasons. I am not against a few short stints in the middle per game, but not full time yet.

The first reason is he is so good down back we need his drive, speed, and he matches up so well on small dangerous fwds.He is great one on one ,and is often beating his man and burning them the other way. Who fills his spot if he goes into the middle? He is worth more to the side down back right now then in the middle. He is second behind Hurls for intercept possessions for the team, and averaging 20 disposals. Why rob Peter to pay Paul.

The second reason is that he is a first year player and we don’t want to burn him out. Playing in the midfield will be more physical and require more running. Meaning that he would need to be rested more often or risk injury.

Leave him back for this season, and slowly build him into the middle next year.

10 Likes

Wont be eligible next year will he since he got nominated this year?

Either Powell-Pepper get its for the one off dont argue to Burgoyne and the fact he get cheapies in the guts at Port or Burton to give some hope to Hawthorne fans.

1 Like

Won’t be eligible next year because he will play more than 10 games. Being nominated in a year doesn’t remove you from eligibility for subsequent years as long as you meet the other criteria.

Correct. Fanta one of the only ones to get nominated twice though.

Didnt hurley as well if i recall correctly?

Rotate Merrett, Parish, Mcgrath, Fantasia, Tippa and colyer into the centre to provide some defensive running coverage. We are getting burnt in the midfield because Myers, Watson, Goddard & Heppell who are great endurance players and link men, are lacking the speed to chase and put actually’ pressure on the ball carriers.

I would like to see Heppell move into a sweeping role across half back and playing on the oppositions high forward.

1 Like

Burton is quality aswell to be fair. He is having a pretty good season himself

2 Likes

How do you know that is actually happening?

1 Like

It’s not. We are one of the fastest teams in the competition.

When we win it’s because we play hard, contested football and don’t turn it over very much. When we lose it’s because we play soft football and turn it over a lot.

We are also less successful against certain setups. The teams that have made us look silly have focussed on taking the corridor away and freeing up men behind the ball better than we’ve been able to. When we run out of options in the corridor due to pressure we take risks or bomb forward and turn it over (e.g. Carlton game, Melbourne, Freo, Richmond).

I think we’ll gradually get better at playing through congestion in the middle but it’s going to take a while and there are going to be bad weeks.

1 Like