#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

100% fark all movement across whole ground

Has had a great first season, but was absolute trash today. Almost refused to kick it and then would handball to a teammate already under pressure

Get your hand off it

Hey, are you the idiot that sits behind me each week who just constantly yells at blokes to kick it?

Football these days is so much different from the days when Baker was a star. Now I don’t disagree that there should be a better balance between kicks and handballs, but to say that he needs to have a 3:1 ratio of kicks to handballs is just ludicrous. I’d suggest that McGrath is well on his way to have elite hands too by the way.

7 Likes

Where do you sit?

I wasn’t the only one yelling for McGrath to kick it. And yes, I continually call for players to kick the ball - a team really wins if they handball more than they kick like we did today.

i’d give that 3:1 ratio to McGrath to change his mindset and then ease off what’s the change was institutionalised.

To be fair, half the crowd was yelling kick it from the third quarter onwards.

Yes - more kicks please and straight down the middle to our forwards.

The people who yell “kick it” are the same ones who whinge when it goes to the opposition’s defender standing on their own.

32 Likes

Can’t like that enough times.

Insightful

Jeez mate, ease up. The first year player made a few mistakes.

Fairly certain he’ll learn from them and not make them again.

1 Like

He’s the only won outside of Hurley who I feel comfortable when the ball is in his hands.

Just so clean.

These guys spend hours with Diesel sharpening their handball skills and he is generally a brilliant handballer . But at times we tend to overdo it, and eventually even the best is going to give a hospital handpass. Give him a break. he will be a great player for us. Give him a bit of time to gain more experience.

Mate, that’s the problem.

He didn’t learn from his first mistake of handballing to flat-footed players when he had better options - he kept doing it.

Drove me nuts!

but wasn’t alone and when there is zero movement ahead of the ball and no fwd structure can hardly blame all on the ball carrier

you are right. delist.

1 Like

Two very poor handball options - interestingly both to players running forward of him.
Were there no forward options?
Should he have kicked to a contest / blindly?
Will he learn from this?

Is still beginning to run forward through the centre better each week, compared to the first month or so when he didn’t leave the back 50.
Positive signs and give the kid a break.

PS Macadamia or Peanut?

What they said

I bet Leon Baker never made a mistake in his life.

I always yell “kick it (to a free Essendon player who has found time and space in an advantageous position through gut-busting running and superior game-sense)”, thus I am entitled to whinge when it gets turned over.

11 Likes