#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

I thought that was the case but can only assume when watching it on TV as you obviously cant see whats going on up the field.

Reckon by about now heā€™d be thinking roughly what Carlisle was thinking.

1 Like

What - that he felt like a line of coke?

3 Likes

Believe me munna, there are absolutely fark all options up field for him to kick to when youā€™re there watching live.

Our forwards seem to press way too high up the ground, hence the amount of goals that we concede out the back as witnessed against Brissy on the weekend.

I love what McGrath has brought to the team with his dash and daring run through the middle in his first year. But I do feel sorry for him when he attempts one of these runs and has to cough the ball up by handballing as he probably would prefer to deliver the ball by foot but has run out of options upfield as there is absolutely nothing to kick to.

Andyā€™s footy brain, to me at least, seems way ahead of a lot of his team mates and it feels like heā€™s almost waiting for them to get in sync with him, not the other way around, if you understand what I mean?

6 Likes

Understand exactly what you mean, and thats exactly what it looks like on TV, he has broken through with his pace and looking for an option up the field but no one is presenting so he hands the ball off, rather kick to a contest. Sounds like it is a team problem not an Andy one.

1 Like

One of his main strengths in u18ā€™s was his give a go - its ingrained in him - even to stationary targets. Stationary targets in AFL get gobbled up quickly so thatā€™s not working like it used to.

He also rarely kicked to a contest and typically played someone into space - heā€™s still trying to do this. All in all I think it is just adjusting to the speed and congestion in AFL. If anyone has the attributes and brains to figure this out its AMG . Was a gun - will be a gun (hopefully!)

3 Likes

That run and carry. Canā€™t wait until he gets moved to the midfield to really see how he can impact a game.

2 Likes

Does he ever get pressured?

That run through the middle did not make him look like a guy who wins 100m racesā€¦ but it worked.

1 Like

Mo Hope probably got his measure, but his work on the way out was impressive. Iā€™d like to get a look at him on a wing before the season is done.

Love him. Will be an absolute jet.

2 Likes

Yes there are others in the AFL who can jetbthrough the middle and deliverc forward.

But when you consider in year one he is already elite by foot.

Boy do we have good times ahead
With ANDY

Itā€™s true - he doesnā€™t look fast, does he? But we know he must be. Composure over speed, maybe.

I love him too.

But elite by foot? Nah.

1 Like

I think he is pretty good by foot which annoys me when he handballs so much

1 Like

The hair is Hird-Likeā€¦

5 Likes

Agreed

Another excellent game from him today.

Heā€™s one of the guys in the team that I feel at ease with the ball in his handsā€¦and heā€™s only a first year player too!!!

Itā€™s been just great watching him develop this season.

4 Likes

Watch him run to close space or contest a mark. Has some serious wheels.

1 Like

I reckon heā€™s one of our better kicks. I have been quite surprised with how good his kicking is