#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Lots of people thought he was going to be the best player in the draft, but didn’t think he was ready to rock, especially in comparison to McGrath. The “wise in foresight” thread on who you’d take with pick 1 is full of comments to that effect. There’s some people saying you could put him on a forward flank and watch him go, but I’d say the predominant attitude was he was higher ceiling, longer development time.

Going back and reading that thread, there’s a surprising number of people backing Setterfield. I’d forgotten about that surge of interest.

2 Likes

I thought we’d take McCluggage… but always wanted McGrath and made that pretty clear.

2 Likes

Wasn’t intending to misrepresent, just using it as an example of people not expecting McCluggage to be an immediate impact player.

3 Likes

In fairness to Murphy. Every time he’s tried he got broken. I remember when he contested a 5050 with danger and broke his collar bone.

I think this is wrong. The people watching the u18 champs we’re saying hef take a year or 2 to acclimatise. Mostly because he had no preseason and had the best season of the juniors in terms of individual performance. McGrath was the ready made player.

Sorry beaten to it.

Yep, sure sounds like you said Myers there. Being unable to handle counter points and then bringing my name up in another thread in an attempt to be a smart-■■■■, good one. My point was quite simply wanting to play kids, and say whilst Carlton have had 5 rising star nominations, we were going back to the failed well of Howlett, Hocking, Stanton etc. Playing kids who fully deserve games, like Langford did for a 2 month stretch, Begley who was playing some good football and playing youth ahead of older plodders who don’t deserve games is and was my point. I’m sorry you can’t accept counter arguments.

I think both will be exceptional players in 3 years. But I think McGrath’s pace and class will be a major point of difference.

Spoiler: BEGLEY debuts round 22 and wins rising star.

And still remains eligible for next year’s rising star

1 Like

Have seen glimpses of the lug this year to see that lug will be a great player. There was little debate that MCG was more ready to go of the 2. A lot wanted lug as he was a goal kicking mid, and for some reason thought had higher potential. But a few myself included wanted MCG. He just seemed to have a harder edge, more of an inside game, and quicker. Saw the second efforts and the one per-centers. Plus has really stood up in big games.

Lug on the other hand is an all class silky smooth type player, who was taller (remember much said about this) and kicks the goals (I couldn’t care less about that compared to what the harder edge player brings).

But I still think both including Setterfeild and tarranto will be great players, and there is no way to know was right for at least 3 years.

In anycase we have MCG and he has more than exceeded my expectations so far. The real interesting ones are the ones we took later in the draft.

3 Likes

[quote="munna1, post:2767, topic:3760, full:true”]A lot wanted lug as he was a goal kicking mid
[/quote]
To be fair, at that time we didn’t realise we would have a goal kicking forward line.

8 Likes

There’s no way to know who was right for a LONG time, the dust will slowly settle yes over 3 years but it’ll be 6 to 8 to 10 and even the entirety of their careers before you know. Plenty of players have been prolific for their first few years and plateaued after that point.

1 Like

thats seriously got to be one of the most boring interviews to read…

Yeah I was on the McClug bandwagon…but I juat love the way McGrath moves…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never been an advocate for David Myers.
So if you are so big on counter points, who do you want dropped so that Langford, Begley & Mutch can play? Be a man of your convictions.

I should say I wasn’t back on here at that point so my views are probably coloured by an even smaller number of contributions than most.

Still doesn’t change the fact McClug wouldn’t be anywhere near RS.

Has he even been nominated? Witherden would be a huge chance for a nomination soon.

Apparently, round 14

What in actual f*ck?

You said: “I don’t want Hocking, Howlett or Stanton in the 1sts now, not ever. In fact I’ve gone on record as saying they should be delisted at the end of this season.All I ever said is Myers deserves games”.

I replied with a direct quote from you “And again I say, no Howlett, Hocking or Jobe at centre bounces next year, who is going to provide the muscle?”

That’s what I replied to and made comment about how we should play youngsters instead and giving them a chance. And then you cracked the sads and made comments about me “wanting to play undeserving kids” which I literally never said.

And your reply to that was to quote yourself from a different date and something I’d never made comment on whatsover or never referred to, and then ask me who I’d drop? What. the. fck. Congratulations on Myers, I’ve never said you weren’t a fan.

In answer to your question, who would I want dropped despite the fact I’ve not said about dropping anyone directly, I would phase out Howlett, Hocking, Stanton, Baguley, Kelly, Goddard, Bird and basically anyone over 28 within the next year or so. Kelly has maybe one year left and so does Goddard. I would be looking at introducing Laverde, Langford, Begley, Mutch and Ridley at the nearest opportunity and looking at developing a small back, of which McNiece hopefully can spot down once he returns.

“He will come into a club,impress straight away and in it’s 22 immediately”

Not wrong there haha.