#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Can someone please gif mcgrath’s awesome follow up on the pocket please

1 Like

Seriously, seriously impressive for a 19 year old in everything he does! Glad he’s ours!

5 Likes

Fantastic game after the week off. and taking on Eddie Betts. He looked like he was up to pace straight away and although he shanked a few kicks he never gave up and was super solid. Almost took a great grab on the forward 50 early in the first quarter, I think. To keep superstar Eddie to no goals and seven touches was great to see. The commentators kept trying to talk up how wonderful he was and so skillful. Wasn’t Eddie just great when he threw it to himself on the boundary line and got away with it?

McG’s recovery and second and third efforts are what we need to see from all our players. If we could have that sort of intensity across the field we would be unstoppable. He is the sort of player who will make the other players better as they try to keep up with him. You can see that the rest of the team look for him and have no issues in hitting him up in the back 50.

Can’t wait till he feels he can take the game on more and use his pace and creativity. It will be great to see him build in to the midfield and play with the likes of Zach, Hepps and Parish. We will have some of the fastest hands going around.

4 Likes

Whatever.

2 Likes

type of thing Wanganeen used to do - turn a ■■■■■■ situation into attack in the matter of seconds

3 Likes

there was a contest after those two shanks where he turned the ball over again, but instead of lowering his colours he sprinted to the opposition who intercepted his kick, applied pressure, won the ball, and sprinted with the ball for a good 20m and nailed a pass to a team mate. probably one of more impressive plays by one of our younger players that ive seen in a long time

5 Likes

He looks a hell of a lot better than mccluggge imo. I reckon we definitely went the right way

3 Likes

Crazy comment after less than one season. McGrath has been amazing.
McCluggage has shown signs.
This is basically what was expected (Hugh to take longer to get to AFL standard)

7 Likes

Could win a brownlow, he is that good.

His first season has been so much better than I was hoping

So much composure

Can’t wait too see him push up into the midfield and see what he can do. This week is the perfect time to start

Is it just amazing how our gun first year players seem to get better and better.

You could argue that Parish had a better first year than Hepp based on the larger role he was forced to fulfil.

And now McGrath has probably had a better year than Parish last year.

So on form Pick 10 in this draft will be next level.

But seriously. These top kids we have got in the last 2 years have performed way beyond expectation on balance.

I actually wasn’t that surprised with Pidge on the weekend. We got takewn to the cleaners v Adelaide over there and whilst Eddie kicked half a dozen, mainly on Baguley, when McGrath shifted onto him he more than held his own. This time he didn’t give Eddie a sniff. 7 touches and zero goals on a guy people are saying is possibly the best small forward of all time (I don’t agree with that but he is a champion player)? Not only did that but won 25 possessions himself. The next progression for him is to back his foot skills a bit more and refine them over summer. He will, and once he does, he will be genuinely elite.

1 Like

in fairness to Eddie that’s pretty much how they always are…

#bigshorts

14 Likes

Cale Hooker says hi.

4 Likes

As does Conor, Zak, Hurls & The Gleek.

1 Like

Tell him to stop saying hi to random fans and to work on his consistency.

3 Likes

Did you shout at cale after his celebration and demanded he pull his head in.

I yelled vociferously about how good it was.

As with jobes goal.

Highlight and positive are two different things.

I said “thank you, Mr Hooker”.

I’m a polite and quiet boy.

2 Likes

Talking Footy - Essendon could have resigned McGrath mid season but chose to wait. Apparently now his management are prepared to wait until mid next year cause his value is on the rise.

Maybe should have resigned him earlier, Bombers!!

1 Like