#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Sadly no

From Knightmare

Named best on ground in the TAC Cup grand final, Andrew McGrath was the driving force behind Sandringhamā€™s win against Murray, in a game where he split his time between midfield and half-back.

McGrath had 38 disposals (28 in the second half), 21 contested possessions, four marks (one contested), three tackles and eight clearances.

Through the midfield, McGrath led the team in contested possessions and clearances, often winning first possession at stoppages.

4 Likes

Whilst a lot of handball receives it also shows some of his centre square work as well.

Natural 2 way midfielder

1 Like

Watched it. He was 90% hbf. Taranto went off in the midifeld. So did florent and scrimshaw

1 Like

Mops up and sets up play from HB with stints in the middle.

Hodge and Mitchell style.

Happy with that.

1 Like

I can tell you those 28 in the second half were virtually exclusively of half back. He barely had a touch forward of centre in the second half and I reckon he won a fair few of those stopagges in the backline too.

Fwiw im not saying he canā€™t mid and donā€™t profess to have an exhaustive knowledge of his under 18 career but I did watch the tac final and he played the overwhelming majority of the game at half back and a lot of his numbers came from handling around in circles trying to work himself clear (not necessarily a bad thing)

From a value add point of view I think he may be better as a back pocket.

Letā€™s say our future starting mid 3 is Parish, Zerrett, and Zakka. How much better than those three could we really expect McG to be?

Now, maybe he becomes a GAJ clone who weā€™d be mad to play anywhere else, but if not he could conceivably be the best back pocket in the league. When i think of the gun HBF play makers (JoJo, Laird, Docherty), Iā€™m not exactly in awe of their defensive abilities. McGrath is a genuine 2for1, elite stopping and rebounding.

6 Likes

Well heā€™s never going to fit in at Essendon playing like that.

McGrath vs Ainsworth II coming up

May well be true. At the end of the he will be able to both. Like I have said one zillion times already, if u can stop the ops best small fwd, and damage the other way, you are as valuable if not more so then any mid. Plenty of stoppers and plenty of attacking backs in afl. But rarely are they elite at both.

He is a unique player

6 Likes

8 Likes

Nah BS, Pidge is a mid. When has a kid this good ended up a farkn BP eva.

1 Like

Contract talks on hold? Laters!!

Who is his manager?

Cā€¦ Coā€¦ Connā€¦ I canā€™t bring myself to say it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like the nickname pidge, just does not suit.

Oh and he is an absolute gun. The job on Betts was special. It is not like Betts was not delivered the ball and given the ease which Adelaide transitioned and the number of inside 50s keeping Betts to 7 touches is incredible. Furthermore he got it 25 times himself.

12 Likes

McGun.

4 Likes

The last time it happened was 1993.

5 Likes

Yeah fair call. Gav did develop and play alongside a midfeild that played finals/won a flag. I think Andy will be much more damaging and valuable for this team when he eventually goes through the middle

I think McWrath will be less likely to RIP OUT OUR STILL BEATING HEART AND CRUSH IT WITH HIS COLD, UNFEELING JUDAS HEEL also.

3 Likes

So does he take the #5 when Stanton retires?