#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Absolutely there is plenty of time for all 3 of them to be captain

I wish we could finish last every year
he is so good

5 Likes

Insightful.

2 Likes

Looked like he played wing all game (Colyer role) and looked to have played it better than Colyer all year.

Is a absolute superstar this kid.

To be fair, just about anyone could have played the role better than Colyer this year

1 Like

He may be appointed captain one day , but in the meantime, he is a natural leader.
You can never have enough leaders at a club. Skills are also important but imo leadership and hard work are just as if, or not more important than skill.
He is a head down bum up no nonsense super skilled good decision maker.
He demands respect from all who play with and against him.
Very very fortunate that our no 1 pick co incided with his availability, and fantastic that we used that pick wisely. Bouquets to our recruiting team.

2 Likes

You can see his confidence building every week, he keeps on getting better with every game, developing beautifully.

1 Like

The kid has talent no doubt about that. But it’s his work off the ball that impresses me most.

He works really hard to block, shepherd, chase and provide options.

Great to see him get rewarded for his hard work

4 Likes

Hawthorn?

Had 14 in the 3rd quarter alone

3 Likes

He walked into the midfield in the third quarter and won us the game.

Every player was fumbling the ball. McGrath was sweeping the ball up crystal clean and dishing off the handball with ease.

That bought us vital seconds to dispose of the ball in the midfield.

I was in the ‘leave him back for now’ camp. But f*ck that. Those clean hands will be vital in the contest of a final.

Yes, we could have a few surprises if we play in the finals. Like we have nothing to lose attitude - just go for it.
Players playing a few different positions. Who knows where it might take us?

He’s very sensible isn’t he.

I think he’ll be one of those rare two way running mids so he’ll get plenty of ball off HB as well.

What a discussion to be having, Merrett or McGrath future captain. These things sort themselves out but when you’re discounting a super competitive little blonde bloke called Darcy you know the future’s wearing sunglasses. Balance is not everything but it’s a lot, I wonder what the presence of Kelly would do to the fabric when we snaffle him from under No-th and FC’s noses. Plz no mention of Gumb stains on fabric.

100%. Heppell’s important goal to open the second half was caused by McGrath running back with the flight of the ball to spoil what would have otherwise been an uncontested mark to a Gold Coast player. Despite him being a short man, his ability to use his leap to time his spoils is absolutely first rate.

3 Likes

Agreed but iirc the umpire had called touched play on. It was an excellent contest regardless

McCool

But does he have a sensible haircut?

Spot on, the kid does the hard things, and defensive things. Many high draft picks simply do not have this in there game. They are brilliant at racking up 30 plus, but have little accountability.

Example been GWS, full of talent, but many who wont do the hard 1% things that matter when the going gets tough.

This kid still racks em up, is accountable, and does all the hard stuff.