#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Hi issue with his kicking is it has little penetration and can be a bit loopy out in front rather than a spearing pass to a target.

I’m sure he will work insanely hard to improve it.

Heppell was a loopy kick that lacked penetration, His kicking has improved a lot since his early days and still improving IMO. I’d expect similar with Andy.

3 Likes

This kid is just so damn good.

Reminds me of Wanganeen.

Superstar.

5 Likes

Was a gun when it counted.

Regularly gets better as the game goes on.
Like Zach, a combination of endurance, and the footy smarts to work out what’s happening and do something to change it.

2 Likes

Good pace and good finishing skills on several occasions. I hope his HB:K ratio evens out as he matures. Great start.
Interested to see if the Gleeson injury would effect where he plays R1?

I liked how the commentators were saying he hadn’t shown much in the midfield, and then on cue… He showed them plenty.

Hes a legit gun.

4 Likes

Straight into the middle next Friday thanks

Handball less, and realise that you are the guy that needs to accelerate thru traffic and kick the ball to leading forwards.

Coaches please tell him this.
Every time he runs positively direct to goals something happens.

5 Likes

Was actually on Bliclavs on the wing for much of the first half, and held him to stuff all.
(Bliclavs got 6 possessions, basically in the ruck)
So a largely defensive effort to start.
Moved into the middle increasingly as the game went on, both for stoppages and general play
But the commentators are “experts”, so what would I/ we know?

I reckon we saw pretty similar last year. His first instinct was always to handball, but as his confidence built during the year, he started kicking it more.

He’s still feeling his way around in the AFL midfield atm, but once he believes he belongs there… Look out.

He’s a quick learner, too. It’s not gonna take long.

2 Likes

Have was outstanding in the second half today in particular.

3 Likes

I think they’d bring Dea in for Gleeson if they want a straight swap. Baguley is another option

1 Like

His second half today… oh boy wowee…

Will legit be considered one of the top mids in the comp by the end of the season. Speed, agility, good hands, good disposal and hard tackles… has got it all. Absolutely dominated the game for about 10 minutes towards the end… like Hird/Martin/Fyfe level domination.

3 Likes

Nah he’s not 215cm like Cripps and the Bont so he won’t be very good, same for Merrett and Parish

1 Like

I was thinking the same as the commentators. He hadn’t done much in the game then all of a sudden he just started getting the ball and being everywhere.

Just keep him in the middle.

It’s not normal to move like that.

We won’t always get games like today but in a couple of years it will be well worth it.

1 Like

He just keeps at it!

It was the same all last year, he’d have a few dinky possessions, nothing fancy, he positions himself well and stays accountable to his opponent. He’d be having an unremarkable, but decent, game. But then there are those passages of play, the kind where the ball is in dispute, players get caught wrong footed predicting how the play is unfold, where he shines through his ability to stay in the contest; never going to ground, never giving in, never taking a break until the ball is out play.

He made our backline look a hell of a lot more solid last year, surprisingly so. I think he’s going to do the same for our midfield. He’ll look pretty blue collar at times, but then we’ll all take notice as he saves/sets up a goal because he kept his head when everyone else lost theirs.

2 Likes

in the last qtr in the back pocket he was so out of position, but kept at it and forced the ball up, brilliant.

1 Like