#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

I don’t think anyone is arguing he will be as good as him. Simply comparing player style.

I think he will be a 250 game player and be a very good mid that can go forward and pinch a goal.
Or go back and stop a small forward from the opposition kicking some.

Basically a farkin gun.

How did GAJ play in his first year of footy? Lost in space and no where near McGrath standard. How bout in his second? Still didnt match AM’s in both impact and disposal numbers… and AM had a quiet-ish year learning how to play in the midfield. In GAJ’s early years, he didnt look like he had half of the skills that AM has shown already in both this year and last year. I think that in a couple of years, we are gonna think wowwwweeeeeeeee

Year 1:
GAJ - Games Played 12, Kicks 37, Marks 13, Hballs 63, Disposals 100, Goals 10
AM - Games Played 21, Kicks 181, Marks 83, Hballs 234, Disposals 415, Goals 1

Year 2:
GAJ - Games Played 22, Kicks 189, Marks 61, Hballs 138, Disposals 327, Goals 26
AM - Games Played 20, Kicks 203, Marks 77, Hballs 195, Disposals 398, Goals 5

Ablett didnt start smashing it till his 6th year in the system, and yes stats arent everything blah blah blah… But blind freddie can see that we have a gifted one here. In case you cant tell, I see something special with AM… He has something, and he just had a development year last year, learning where to be and when to go… Trust me he will go apeshit in a year or two :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I believe McGrath will be the greatest sportsperson this universe has ever seen, pushing Justin Koschitzke into second place.

8 Likes

If we’re talking purely impact, I’d take GAJ’s second season over McGrath’s second season any day.

3 Likes

26 goals in your second year is an impressive achievement. I have forgotten the impact GAJ made as a youngster.

I believe McGrath will easily outperform Amart furniture.

Is he a smart dresser?

8 Likes

I think McGrath is tracking just fine and on track to be an excellent player for us. It’s only two years in.

But for fun I added Zach’s first two year stats since I think that’s a good benchmark for McGrath. As you can see McGrath is doing very very nicely. And we know how Zach took off in year 3. Andy has the skills, smarts and drive to be elite for us.

Year 1:
GAJ - Games Played 12, Kicks 37, Marks 13, Hballs 63, Disposals 100, Goals 10
AM - Games Played 21, Kicks 181, Marks 83, Hballs 234, Disposals 415, Goals 1
ZM Games Played 20, Kicks 170, Marks 67, Hballs 134, Disposals 304, Goals 11

Year 2:
GAJ - Games Played 22, Kicks 189, Marks 61, Hballs 138, Disposals 327, Goals 26
AM - Games Played 20, Kicks 203, Marks 77, Hballs 195, Disposals 398, Goals 5
ZM Games Played 17, Kicks 186, Marks 60, Hballs 195, Disposals 381, Goals 4

Year 3
ZM Games Played 22, Kicks 349, Marks 110, Hballs 308, Disposals 657, Goals 7

8 Likes

He’s pretty quick to get his futon the ball.

5 Likes

I think McGrath can be as good as GAJ in a number of aspects like production, evasive line breaking visions etc. But where he will always fall down is the kicking power and ability to not only use his athleticism to break the game open but also his kicking.

I was watching a bit of the Saints game last night. Man, McGrath is just so ridiculously good in defence, composure, positioning, execution, pace, creativity. Hmmmm…

3 Likes

If we are having a legit crack at a flag this year, then you play this guy where he is best suited for the current moment, which is in defence.

That’s not to say he won’t end up a midfielder eventually, but he won’t have as much impact there this year, as he will in defence.

And suddenly, our midfield doesn’t seem as desperate for him as it once was.

4 Likes

That Betts game in his first year made me take note of how good his defensive skills are. There’s no shame in being an elite defender. And while our midfield looks strong it’s only an injury or 2 before he’d be back in there anyway.

Hang on, that shows a lot of disrespect on your behalf.
To Clive Waterhouse.

I don’t know… we may also need him as a winger. It will be interesting to see what they do.
If he’s not playing defence, i’d certainly strongly consider it if McKenna or Saad goes down

I like the idea of him as a Greg Williams type midfielder, shooting lethal handballs out of heavy packs but much faster and able to sprint out of those packs as well

He is not a tall boy either.

2 Likes

I recon that’s why he was drafted.
Not many small defenders go first pick.

Well, he’s not a tall boy.

Edit…bugger, beaten to the punch.

Drawers back in shame.

4 Likes