#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

And captain

And 10 time premiership player.

You left Tippa out

1 Like

I can’t wait to be disappointed.

You seem to be there most of the time anyway.

1 Like

I recall an APS game v Haileybury that they had to win to end up on top. Terrible footy conditions. Blowing a hurricane and super wet conditions. Moreover Haileybury came out breathing fire. Shaw started him as on his usual position, HBF but BGS were flat and having trouble dealing the conditions and the pressure. Then Shaw put Andy on the ball and that was the end of it. He turned the tide of the game.

5 Likes

It’s interesting to consider what we do with Merrett if McGrath really blossoms as a centre square player alongside Shiel. You’d think structurally they’d like one bigger bodied player in there.

Obviously with rotations Merrett will get more than his share but I do wonder whether they might like his left foot a little of the congestion coming off a wing.

Our most effective centre square feet might be stringer, Shiel, McGrath with all 3 capable of running clear.

Then b, C, d combinations like

Hepp, Merrett, Zaha

Langford, parish, tippa

Myers Smith Fanta

4 Likes

Is it common to have distinct centre stoppage groups?

I wouldn’t say so, I think you always see a fair bit fluidity, but most sides of a A team

You are starting to worry me alex.

Stay away from anything sharp

2 Likes

Not always, and obviously not clearly distinct given the chaos of an actual game.
But coaches, & I’m really talking about Essendon as the only team I watch that closely, do seem to have preferred pairings at least.
The third player is a bit more fluid.
For example last year I’d say preferred combos were;
Myers and Parish
Heppell and Zach
Stringer and Tippa/ Fanta

Smith seemed to feature in several preferred combinations, as did Langford.
Obviously you wouldn’t see a combo of Langford Stringer & Myers, though I do remember seeing a deliberate small combo of Smith, Zach & and McGrath/ Tippa a few times late in quarters/ games

3 Likes

I’m a chef

5 Likes

YOU WORK WITH KNIVES!!!???!!!

4 Likes

It’s a cutthroat industry.

1 Like

Never struck me as very sharp.

4 Likes

Early 2000’s argument of best mid was more like
Voss vs Black vs Akermanis
For Lions fans

Belabours the point a little often you reckon?

Worsfolds Glory days midfield
Judd Shiel
Kerr Merrett
Cox Bellchambers
Cousins McGrath
Embley Zaharakis
Fletcher Heppell

We wish…

4 Likes

That WCE mid group was amazing.