#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Walsh has all the tools and will be a very good player provided Carlton do not Fark Carlton his development.

They’d be holding next to no money at this point.

Josh Green pantsed Sam Mitchell…

I member

1 Like

Love McGrath,kid will be a star but the one
time we had the number pick 1 there wasn’t a mid like Walsh avaible which kinda sucks.

1 Like

Was thinking this myself, we got the number 1 pick in the only year i remember that the number 1 wasn’t a clear standout pre- draft.

1 Like

We got a kid who won the farking rising star in his first year. none of the numerous #1 picks FCFC have had have won that award. why would you be thinking in hindsight about that? we got the best kid in the draft. thats as good as it gets

9 Likes

Paddy McCartin
Boyd
Skip the expansion concession years
Jack Watts

Actually seems to be the case in about half the draft years that there’s no clear standout for no 1.
I’m convinced we actually got a gem who, barring injury, is just going to get better & better, rather than plateauing after 2 or 3 years

2 Likes

2 Likes

Well it’s true there wasn’t a clear standout pick 1 that year.

Maybe for you.

1 Like

Wietering was a standout number 1 pick.

We took the best player from that draft and McGrath will prove that once again this year.

Walsh has got a long way to go.

1 Like

I saw a new quality from McG on the weekend I hadn’t seen before

Although he was 50% skills wise

His terrier-ness was up about 400%

Desperation was well over Smith levels in some plays

Kid is a competitor.

So bullish.

1 Like

Really? Gee just looked through the pick ones and every draft i remember the no.1 pick being pretty much known prior to draft day. Not saying the fact we got McGrath is a bad thing, but to say pick one wasn’t pretty much public knowledge prior to almost all the other drafts is a stretch.

Public knowledge is not the same thing as a stand out pick one.
If you’re going on the discussions in the months leading up to the draft then I stand by my examples of legitimate debate / uncertainty about pick 1.

As an example I’ll quote Cal from his last 2014 Phantom Draft
‘McCartin has probably deserved more discussion as a possible No.1 pick through the year, because he’s got some special traits.’

In other words it was unclear until the club leaked their preferred choice
You’ll find that was the case for Watts Boyd and others.

The Giants also would have taken Pidge at 1, not inconceivable brisbane would have as well.

WTF

People are actually concerned whether McGrath was the standout number 1 pick?

The guy who won the rising star in his first year, has leadership oozing from his pores, played 41 games in two seasons and looks set to become a dominant force in our midfield for years? But we ignore all of that and bemoan the fact that a couple of other kids may have also been good at the same time as him.

Again, WTF.

24 Likes

it’s Blitz

1 Like

SkitzBlitz

1 Like

Post has significant merit.

1 Like

They traded up to pick 2 to get him, thinking we were going for McCluggage. Apparently we were likely to pick Hugh until Andys interview where they realised how impressive he was as an individual.