#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Love Mcgrath, I hope he adds a harder edge to his game in the coming years too.

probably the only part of his game that is missing atm is that hard tackling, grunt side.

Im sure if he was playing permanently on ball he would be averaging 25 touches a game but thats not his role atm.

Would not trade Andy for Clug ever. We picked the right kid.

5 Likes

Yeh im happy thus far with the pick. Mcclugage has class but you don’t find many with the speed, agility and skills of McGrath.

Danger didn’t hit his straps until 4th year or so. Comparing coz i reckon he and McGrath are similar in their speed, agility etc. Might need a few preseasons to get the fitness base to repeatedly perform at the level

it seems what set them apart from each other after their interviews with the club was what was between the ears. From what i heard, Dodoro was blown away by the kid. GWS apparently had the same thoughts on him.

Was actually his 5th year

GWS had him penned in on their HBF for 15 years, they wouldnt have been too happy when we started showing interest with Pick 1.

2 Likes

they would’ve had a few players penned in for 15 years who are now unpenned

we just got him without going via the trade week route

1 Like

I prefer to imagine a world where he’s got the tank to do what he does in 4th quarters for all 4 quarters.

1 Like

McGrath is obviously a different player to all the below but it shows some players I think he shares some characteristics with.

I’ve chosen 6 midfielders of similar size, Zerret, Judd, Murphy, Shiel, Neale and Ablett. Murphys younger years were actually fantastic. Ablett obviously spent more time fwd and McG more time back than others.

Selwood started at half back and at the time was probably considered to have played the best first 50 games of the last 15 years.

And Merret.

Who is off the charts.

Merritt’s third season, wow. Murphy was one of the higher rated #1 picks I can remember- just got carltanked

2 Likes

Interesting.

Of course 2016 was a unique situation - Zerret was the main man, an opportunity McGrath doesn’t have this year because Zerret/Sheil/Heppell etc.

Clug has him for size from what you see on screen, he’s a good modern mid size. They’ll both be terrific

May be repeating what has already been said, but he needs to clean up his kicking in a big way IMO. Some of his kicks were pretty inexcusable. Apart from that he is going pretty well

1 Like

I am pretty sure he was straight into midfield, was their 4th most productive clearance player in his first season (in a handy midfield!).

But a good post.

So proud of my boy xx

7 Likes

Killing it.

4 Likes

That’s why he was the no.1 pick.

Class.

1 Like

So underrated!

Absolute gun and still lots of improvement to come!

1 Like

Rarely if ever beaten by his opponent. In his 40 odd games I would estimate beats his opponent 90-95% of the matches.

Can lock down his opponent whilst also choosing the right times to drive very hard offensively.

Really is the prototype of mid that runs both ways - something we’ve sorely lacked for many years.

7 Likes

5 games and 5 goals to go with it!

Yeah, he’s just a back pocket tagger.

3 Likes