#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

i Don’t think we’ve seen his best yet and it may be through the middle.

I understand dropping him back at times rotations require it but I think keep training him as a mid/wing and let’s see what his impact is

Merrett’s stats are somewhat affected by the sub rule in his first year. Maybe his second too

1 Like

I actually see McGrath being used similarly to how we used Goddard…just with added run/legspeed but minus the weapon kicking.

Goddard was a high possession utility used through the midfield (inside/outside) and down back to provide drive and direction out half back. Don’t quote me on it because my memory is a bit foggy, but when Goddard had that little knee scare early in the saints game I think it was McGrath who slotted into Goddard’s HB accumulater/ midfield role and what happened? McGrath had arguably his best game for us - 33 touches and 5 x R50’s (equal second). This is the utility role I see for McGrath over his 300 game career.

Greg William was a beautiful kick as well. My knock on Andy McGrath is his handballs are usually backwards, no where as damaging as Williams or Jobes. Once he starts taking the game on his game will go to another level.

2 Likes

Something something pouffe

If he’s playing his role, and we’re winning games of football… why does he have to be better than Garry Ablett?

When he puts on some more size and strength that will come naturally. He will have far more time and space to use the footy.

Little bit like Langford, the turning point for him was when he could stand up in a tackle. He looks to have time, where as before he was a little rushed.

Mcg will be the one to take the biggest step fwd next year of anyone on the list.

Won’t matter where he plays he will have a massive impact

I don’t think we’ve even seen close to his best yet.

I don’t think he’ll be as much use as a mid until he has the body to play on the inside. He’s kinda wasted out on a wing imo, as he does his best work at the contest, when the ball is hot.

3 Likes

Gavin Wanganeen. Baby Bomber back pocket. Won a Charlie playing down back (and a flag). I wouldn’t mind playing Pidge back & giving Irish a run on the ball.

4 Likes

Andy says he has come back stronger and faster. Now that is good news. Gives a good interview does Andy.

7 Likes

He looks big

4 Likes

Yep, across the shoulders and upper chest area.

Speaks well does our Andy. :blush:

3 Likes

Jet!!!

got a feeling andy’s going to rip a few games to shreds next year, looks like a football player now

1 Like

yep - heading into his third season and he’s getting a very decent body on himself. Playing in a team that should be on the way up would give you the confidence to enjoy your footy even more.

1 Like

The arrogance and class of Mcgrath and Shiel will pull this under performing club off it’s ■■■■. Finally.

I’m looking forward to 2019.

These two will finally bring some support to Mr Football in the guts and as a result I hope he wins Charlie.

Monster

1 Like

Whilst our midfield is a tad on the short side, I love how all of them have different styles and varying sets of weapons through which they inflict damage.

Andy may just have the best set hands in our mosquito fleet, he is also the best athlete among them and has the most natural allround defensive game I’ve seen in a young elite mid.

Parish has the best game in close and isn’t exactly a slow lumbering type through the middle, he knows exactly how and when to use what wheels he’s got.

Dev is the most dogged and hard working player we’ve had in a loooong time but he is also the most natural goal kicker.

Merrett: nuff said

Shiel is the dynamic clearance type we’ve been lacking for a more than a decade; with a powerful burst and a penetrating boot, he is a mini tank.

And then you have Zaharakis, Fantasia and Tippa rounding out the Mosquito Fleet with their own set of special skills

6 Likes

Just quietly, John Coleman kicked 100 in his first.

9 Likes

You forgot Hepp, Hepp channels one of the great traits of the mighty Jimmy Hird, the hard at itness to just impact contest after contest after contest. Hepp is everywhere for 4 qtrs like a good captain should be. With supporting players hitting their prime hopefully he can take it to a new level too

4 Likes