#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Definitely a midfielder. He’s only gonna get better

3 Likes

Solid in the second half

Yeah ok sure, if that is a solid 2nd half performance we really do have something special because his good games must be amazing.

He’ll get going, you could see the confidence growing in the second half to take it on.

Championlike quality of playing his way through bad games into good ones

tick

Was 110% all night

Great game

So excited to watch this kid in season 2019

was really worried in the first half. was getting caught holding the ball and such. second half was a massive improvement, but still plenty of work to do. i love this kid and have high hopes for him.

Anybody still want to take him out of the midfield to fill a hole in the backline?

If we had enough midfield numbers yeah I would.

So you didn’t like what you saw last night?
You don’t expect him to get even better as a mid?
Contrarian

The goal he snapped in the last quarter.

In previous years he would have squirted out a quick handball when the tackle was coming.

This year, he backed himself to shrug the tackle, beat his man, and obviously kicked truly.

Very exciting stuff.

6 Likes

As mentioned elsewhere, the way he worked himself into the game after a scratchy start showed the ability and fortitude of the man.

Huge talent

3 Likes

You clearly didn’t read my answer. I said IF we had enough midfield depth, I’d prefer him in defence. That’s not to say he won’t be a good midfielder, but I think he could be an elite small defender, and that’s no bad thing. Wanga did alright playing in a back pocket didn’t he? Not many first year players keep forwards the calibre of Eddie Betts to 7 disposals and no goals, and that night we got soundly beaten too.

6 Likes

I’m with ya, Smooth. And I mentioned this point a while back, as well as starting him as a BP in my best 22. Reminds me so much of Wanganeen. Small forwards are extremely dangerous in modern footy & need to be shut down. I don’t mind him having a run through the middle, but I’d prefer him as an elite small defender as well.

2 Likes

He plays on ball. I think the last quarter yesterday shows why.

3 Likes

He will be an elite midfielder.

5 Likes

I thought one of the big things recently was positional flexibility. If Stringer can spend time in the middle and forward, why can’t Andy spend time back and in the middle, as the demands of the game dictate? Same could be said for Ridley (who is impressive). Could play off a HBF and even move up to a wing. Raz/Walla/Smith/Langford (fwd/middle), Irish (back/middle), etc, etc.

2 Likes

648 metres gain. Fuarrk. Will only get better for being alongside Shiel Merrett Smith hepp for more than a half

5 Likes

He is a gun, first time I’ve seen it last night that he could be better than Merrett and that is huge!

I really enjoyed those two goals.

Showed a lot of poise.

4 Likes