#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Who do you think has been better so far and will be better in the future?

Lets throw tarranto into that mix too.

Geez thatā€™s tough. In reality McCluggage has really only been very good this year while Pidge has been better in the same time period, more consistent.

Tarranto has been the best of the 3 so far imo.

They are all very good players and we will see their names a lot over the years.

BTW I wanted McAntler over McGrath. I am not unhappy with getting McGrath though.

Yeah definitely agree so far mcgrath has been a tad better.

I feel like if mcgrath can add a bit if grunt and toughness to his game he could be anything.
He only averages like 2 tackles a game at the moment which for me isnt enough especially for someone with his leg speed.

Who is mcantler? Haha

Antler luggage, so McCluggage.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen a huge amount of non-EFC games for a while, but I stand by my pre-draft ranking of McCluggage, Setterfield, McGrath, though I definitely under-rated Taranto at the time.

Not something Iā€™m looking forward to.

Weā€™ve got McGrath and heā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good. Irrelevant to compare him to mcclugagge.

It will happen though, last week I overheard a few Myers/Rioli remarks in the grandstand.

Edit: the only comparison of this type worth talking about is Olarenshaw/West. Some Dogs fans will try and tell you they won from the zoning and getting West, but at last count West has zero brownlows and zero premierships while Ricky has at least one of those things.

For people who say he canā€™t kick. How penetrating was that kick off half back to Zakka over the back?

Taranto is ahead at the moment but Taranto had physical attributes that enabled him to be better quicker.

McG is ahead of all others. Has a more rounded game, and henceforth I expect him to be the best of them all.

Is the full Stringer.

4 Likes

The kick iā€™m Thinking of to Zaka was from mcKenna

All three have been good. All three will be very very good players. All three bring different things to the party.

2 Likes

I wonder what made us pick andy over the others.

but yes I agree all three are good players.
I can see McGrath becoming a bit like lauchie neale once he finds his feet properly.
You donā€™t average 32 touches a game in the TAC if you cant find the ball at will.

Mcclugage or setterfield probably fit the bill of what we needed as a club a bit more but Im happy with Mcgrath

thats my #1 draft pick right there.

I wanted McClugagae or Taranto. But we went with McGrath so Iā€™ll back him in all the way and try not to compare.

I reckon what swayed Dodoro was no playing things. Leader, school captain, no chance of going off the rails, total cleanskin. His player profile for best job of not playing footy was ā€˜CEO of BHPā€™

I get all of thisā€¦ and we want to avoid totally loose ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ but I reckon our focus is too much. It was the number 1 pick that literally couldnā€™t go wrong. Not necessarily the one with the most upside.

We didnā€™t get it wrong.

McGrath is a champ and will only get better.

4 Likes

Dodoro is a bit risk averse. It might even be For example previous experience with an indigenous player who went off the rails might have led him to pass on Sydney Stack who dropped down into the rookie draft. Richmond have rolled the dice on him. On the other hand mcgrath is gilt edged.

Heā€™s risk averse because he passed on Stack? Every club in the comp is risk averse then.
Richmond got him as a pre-season rookie didnā€™t they? Not the rookie draft

2 Likes

Stack has been selected to play in the AFL in round 3 right? Clearly there was upside. Yes. I get your point. It may come back to bite Richmond.

My guess at the time was that he was seen as more of a sure thing.

No matter how development when, I was (and remain) confident that AT THE VERY LEAST McGrath could easily play probably 200 games as one of the better lockdown small defenders in the comp. I saw him crush blokes like Stephenson and Ainsworth in that role at u18 level, even if he didnā€™t step up into the midfield role we wanted, heā€™d be SOMETHING.

McCluggage and Setterfield had imho higher ceilings but more risk. Clug was very skinny and his game style relied on hitting gaps that would be much smaller at AFL level. Whereas setterfield was coming off a series of injuries and had little exposed form, and it didnā€™t matter if we picked him cos GWS would have trumped us with their academy rights anyway.

3 Likes

Even though it is irrelevant, I couldnā€™t split Pidge or Taranto in that draft. I definitely wanted either of them ahead of Setterfield & the Clug. And on the evidence to date, we nailed it.

Pidge offers great versatility. I still believe that he is a better back pocket than a mid (at this stage) - very much in the Wanganeen mould. Destroyed Betts. Will develop into a wonderful midfielder (at AFL level) as well. Great leadership qualities. Stoked that he is a Bomber.

4 Likes

Pidge also possessed the athletic ability that we needed and the others didnā€™t really have. Defensive nous is another thing our midfield lacked.

2 Likes

Very different kinds of players. McGrath weaves through traffic and has burst speed that few others have. He also has extremely fast hands and footy brain. Who knows. He was an excellent choice, for mine.

5 Likes