#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Ive been saying this for a few weeks,

I love andy but he is actually really soft

And a 400 metre state champion.

I think they are putting some time into him off the ball physically.

Hopefully he learns some lessons today.

400 metre hurdles isn’t long distance.

Poor today and couldn’t work his way into it. Needs to get harder.

2 Likes

I agree to a point, he struggles a lot stopping someone with ball in hand and a touch of momentum. I don’t want to single people out but McGrath and parish are sloppy tacklers. They’ve come into the game knowing tackling is vital and are very poor at it.

1 Like

Was outclassed today - Struggled to have any impact on the contest.

Most athletes will tell you 400m whether hurdles or a normal run is the hardest distance as it is an all sprint. It’s why so many school comps don’t allow it as it’s not safe.

Seemed to have a bit of the Colyers today.

100%, very slightly built mind you but they’re 2 players I dont even bother calling ball when they look like making a tackle half the time.

Cant question there attack on the ball though, both hard at it from that regard especially McGrath.

1 Like

For you maybe. Looks a long way from my couch

1 Like

We gotta get that martial arts guy from
Richmond that improved their tackling immensely immediately. Look at at how their slight frame players hold a tackle and body an opposition.

2 Likes

Yep, if guys like Higgins, Castagna and Edwards can hold tackles, there is hope for any skinny ■■■■■■■ in our team.

3 Likes

The AFL would make our players register their hands as lethal weapons and then say they can’t bring them into the stadium.

Huge fan of the guy but his knack at the moment for hand-balling to a teammate about to get tackled is exemplary.

4 Likes

It was very noticeable yesterday that a lot of the tackles we laid, Pies players would still have 2 hands free to get a clear handball away. Get some NRL redneck down at the club and teach these boys how lay a fierce tackle

McGrath 6 tackles (equal 3rd for the game) 23 pressure acts (6th on ground)
Blitz “soft and can’t tackle”

14 Likes

EFC had 73 tackles.

Pies had 71.

73 is a lot.

The top tackling teams are around 67 a game.

Not exactly a shock that a few guys had some missed tackles. Nor cause for alarm.

4 Likes

Can’t work out why we would want more tackles. It was a contested game and that’s exactly how the pies wanted it.