#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

What do you mean? The other team has the ball, you tackle them to create a turnover. Were they meant to let them go? Pressure has become our biggest strength.

1 Like

Its not just the tackles,

Ive noticed if he is ever in a 1 on 1 sprint to the ball he rarely wins it cleanly for some reason, that may be his tendency to play body on body which is a much more defensive tactic though. Rather than backing himself to win the ball he tries for a stalemate.

Yesterday grundy out sprinted him to a loose ball get. Which was perplexing.

1 Like

We were far to gunshy with taking the option through the middle of the ground and I think that was because we turned it I moved early.

The umpiring killed us yesterday no doubt but playing the game on their terms did as well.

The halfbacks did their job but as good as Hurley and Hooker were at defending they lacked their usual rebound and that was where we should have drove home the advantage.

Slow ball movement and poor execution cost us and thatā€™s why it was such low scoring.

I would have preferred we played our natural game.

2 Likes

I agree with all of that but it doesnā€™t answer my question which was:

ā€œThe other team has the ball, you tackle them to create a turnover. Were they meant to let them go?ā€

McGrath definitely looked slow yesterday. There was one bit of play where ambled after a lose ball but was overtaken by Grundy.

1 Like

Of course you tackle them and as pointed out we did.

Itā€™s a non event.

I actually think he panics with the ball in the contest. He is not explosive like shiel, nor is he particularly a great decision maker. I would put him in the back pocket and leave him there. I donā€™t believe he is a natural mid, he is a stopper.

he is a ntural mid though, thats where he played his junior football and averaged 32 touches a game in TAC.

It just hasnt translated well yet to AFL but I do believe it will eventually

2 Likes

Being pretty harsh on McGrath based on yesterdayā€™s game.

He does his best work when the game has pace in it and he can use his agility and speed to attack.

A few of our smaller bodies and just ok kicks got found out yesterday when the heat went on and Andy was one of them.

He is a fast learner though and he will take a lot from it.

3 Likes

I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m being harsh, I know that he is young, but I just feel that some players have poise under pressure and others panicā€¦he panics. He is not alone BTW.

Agree. He clearly was not physically right yesterday. Young kid, new role and short turnaround against quality opposition. Not a surprise that he struggled against bigger bodies and real heat.

1 Like

He seems to be fumbling more than he did in his first few years, I remember him being really clean and assured by hand, not to mention extremely fast. Iā€™d back him to get that part of his game sorted out. With his kicking, like some of his teammates he just needs to learn his limitations and make decisions accordingly.

2 Likes

He copped a big hit early in the 1st that made me think he had been targetted by the flogs specifically. Maybe got just a tad Gun shy as a youngā€™n after that

Something heā€™ll no doubt have to get used to and overcome.

I know what you are trying to say. Maybe panic isnā€™t the right word.

Some players when they get the ball just seem to effortlessly side step or turn into free space. McGrath on the other hand seems to be a bustling type mover.

2 Likes

In his last year at school Andy ran 10.95 seconds in the 100 m run. He would be quicker now if he is on the weights and working on strength and agility.

Still waiting for him to deliver on the preseason hype, I have faith that he will explode at some point this season.

Concerned that he may just be not quite big enough

If James Hird debuted this season you blokes would have him shipped off to Bendigo reserves.

Runs out a game better than anyone on our list and hits the scoreboard from the midfield, while also being able to play a defensive role.

6 Likes

Might be the fact he is in the midfield now and is therefore a lot more exhausted when picking up the ball.

I canā€™t remember much about his game yesterday (the anger has clouded my brain a bit). But generally he is:

a super clean player.
explosive from a contest
A very good tackler

I think heā€™s improved a heap this year. Not pre-season hype good but thereā€™s definitely enough there showing that heā€™ll be a very very good midfielder for us who can do it all. Has an extremely well rounded game now which reminds me of Coniglio who was a lesser light a few years ago when focused on different defensive roles.

One thing that stood out yesterday that Iā€™m not used to seeing was Andy missing a couple of targets by hand.

I honestly think the occasion got the best of him.

He will bounce back against Geelong.