#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

It was on the footy feed nonsense video that the AFL website uploads every afternoon. They door-stopped him outside the hospital.

edit* here it is:

2 Likes

Most pundits had Pidge ahead of McClug (I wanted the him), it wasnā€™t the wrong call and so hasnā€™t proven to be a wrong call. Clug hasnā€™t been that great until this year. Pidge is going through a transition from his starting position in his first year to a midfield role, that takes some time. It is understandable he might not be at his best but in the long term it will make him a much more rounded player who is able to do a few different roles when required.

Sheeds was very big on that sort of thing too.

2 Likes

People forget Pidge is still only 20. Heā€™s still young enough to be in the age bracket to win a rising star award. Imagine him in the midfield in another few seasons!

3 Likes

Look at Jack Billings this year. Some guys take longer to come on and there can be a range of reasons why that is.

1 Like

McClugge is 3 months older than Pidge . Taranto is more then 4.

We should only draft guys born in the first qtr of the year. Terrible work from the recruiters.

Taranto 8 months older, McCluggage 10!

We basically get an extra season out of Pidge.

1 Like

hahaā€¦you might want to check those maths

Lol, my bad. Been a long day.

1 Like

Our midfield is bare?

For an Elite poster, thatā€™s not a very elite comment.

He played 100% back pocket year 1.
Played 60/40 def/mid.
And now 6 games in has played majority outside mid. What kind of development are you expecting here?
And peaked at age 20? Cmon mate this is highly unlikely. Letā€™s not cause panic just yet!

2 Likes

I think heā€™ll be fine, but itā€™s hard to watch Taranto tearing it up this year and not be a touch jealous!

1 Like

Pidge is an out and out gun. Iā€™m super happy that we drafted him.

The point is that he is such a versatile player that he shouldnā€™t be left on a wing when he isnā€™t impacting a game. Bring him into the game somehow. Woosha could have moved him into a deep forward pocket position yesterday (in the Raz role), which would have eased pressure on Walla and allowed that extra pace to test the Cats. Alternatively, he could have been switched into a tagging role on one of the Cats mids who were consistently pressing forward and causing havoc. Or even given a role on Gary Ablett, who at almost 35, made us look silly with all the space he had to move in yesterday.

This is the beauty of Pidge - his versatility. Why not utilise that?

7 Likes

Fair pointā€¦but maybe theyā€™re taking a short term hit in terms of his value to the team, for the longer term benefit of him becoming a real gun mid. Personally Iā€™m happy for him to play the whole season as a mid. We know he can do those other roles. Use it in finals if need be, but for now, let him get as many learnings as possible in midfield.

1 Like

Some people should have their right to express an opinion in public permanently revoked and limited to vague mumblings in an otherwise silent basement.

4 Likes

About the mid thing (and I was discussing this with Peos offline yesterday - for copyright purposes - ha), but I donā€™t believe he is suited as an outside mid. He is a contest player - thrives on it. So, again, he needs to be more at the coalface, not squandered on the outside.

1 Like

Sat wut now? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Fair enough. Personally, Iā€™d be happy if they sit Merrett more on the outside so he can utilise his kicking skills.

1 Like

Equally though, one of his strengths has been to create play off the backline driving the ball forward, using pace and movement to beat the opponent. That is an outside mid trait so why not try him there as well?

As you say he is versatile, to be be good at that sort of versatility you need to learn to play those roles. That appears to be what the coaches are trying.

1 Like

Does his best work in traffic. Held down the best small forwards in the comp. Spoils, tackles, wins his own ball and has lightning reflexes and decision making in traffic. He is a super smart player. I prefer him playing in any position that is providing him with a constant and direct contest. Free roaming on the outside is better suited to players with elite and penetrating kicking skills.

p.s. Condolences for the other day, IT. Lost my Dad in Feb this year, so solidarity at this time.

2 Likes

Thanks JR

1 Like