#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Playing well when not on the wing, I’m shocked

4 Likes

That’s David Myers role

He can play. Like really well. Will be a champion for us.

much better tonight

There ya go. Spent plenty of time back tonight & was in our top three players.

2 Likes

A better game tonight but still lacks penetration in his play - And POINTEDLY he played more back half today.

2 Likes

This time last week I was happy to see him take his time to develop as a mid but watching him off half back on Friday made me realise that maybe he’s just a natural half back flanker.

The way that he is able to sweep up from defence and evade traffic that is coming towards him and weave through it suits playing in defence.

Hard one to work out

5 Likes

Butcher Boy Clugs

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-best-and-worst-inside-50-kicks-revealed-and-essendon-aint-so-bad/news-story/86eacdc42138c638aee8c53a6f3d77a0

WORST KICKS INSIDE 50

1. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne): 45 kicks — 8.9 per cent retention rate

2. Rory Sloane (Adelaide): 31 kicks — 12.9 per cent retention rate

3. Ed Langdon (Fremantle): 30 kicks — 16.7 per cent retention rate

4. Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane Lions): 34 kicks — 17.6 per cent retention rate

1. Travis Boak (Port Adelaide): 38 kicks — 18.4 per cent retention rate
3 Likes

Yeah, oliver and Sloane are clearly rubbish footballers

2 Likes

did you read the article?

oliver has 45 inside 50’s and only 5 of those kicks have hit a target cleanly.

He’s a good footballer but thats a massive flaw in his game.

1 Like

He would be our best midfielder by a mile if he played for us. He’s a gun, if he was ours we would claim he’s going to be a brownlow medallist and best player in the game

With a kick ratio like that, we’d take him, Essington his kicking even more and by making his effective kick ratio negative, tear a hole in the fabric of the universe and somehow end up a complete player with a conversion ratio like Dean Rioli.

2 Likes

I think the point of the post is that many of our players, McGrath in particular, aren’t as bad with hitting targets by foot as #Blitz Collective Wisdom seems to think.

2 Likes

Woosha made a comment on talking footy about unleashing McGrath in the middle full time from next year, him playing on the wing and flanks was always part of the progression he set out for him.

I have no doubt we selected the right man with our 1st pick, he’s as good a leader I have seen at 20 years old.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if McGrath with 13 I50s for the season isn’t in those stats one way or the other. They must have a minimum cut-off, because McKernan has 1 inside 50 for the season, so he’s either at 100% or 0% and doesn’t show up in best or worst. I’d guess it’s 20 or 25.

Spot on here :clap:

he’s not a mile better than dylan shiel by any means mate.

the literal only knock on shiel this season has been his kicking, and going by the numbers olivers kicking is a bit worse.

I agree he is a better player but its not by a wide margin.
Shiel has been fantastic so far for us.

Oliver is also a total knobb

1 Like

I dislike those inside 50 kicking effectiveness stats. For an inside player whose primary mode of operation from stoppages is to extract a contested ball and drive it inside 50- you are never going to have a high efficiency. Hence why good players like Sloane and Oliver top that list.

1 Like

If you could marry it to a stat that highlighted whether that inside 50 kick did eventuate in a goal then it would provide more clarity on the effectiveness of the player. If they are driving it forward and it is turning into a goal because the forwards are able to make it work then they have done their job.

1 Like