#1 Andy McGrath hates chocolate

yeah we did, and this isn’t a knock on stringer but he’s not doing anything remarkable at the centre square bounces. And again not a knock but Stringers running power is still highly lacking for a mid, I was at the game on Sunday and I noticed two efforts in particular in the 2nd Qtr where Stringer just couldn’t keep up with his man and one of them cost us a goal directly.

So the way I see it is why not just keep him where he is most dangerous (as a permanent Fwd) and give more time to Parish and Mcgrath who were both drafted as dominant midfielders.

I also Still hate that at every centre bounce to start a Qtr Stringer is attending it.
It should be our best starting Onball brigade. Shiel, Merrett and Heppel. No Arguments IMO.

Struggling with the pace of the game in the midfield, rushing his disposals and can’t find any space.

8 tackles on Sunday is promising, at least he is doing something when he doesn’t have the ball.

Had a good last quarter, but the sting was taken out of the game by then.

Needs to use his run & carry more.

He is still a young kid and is playing well enough to justify his spot in the side. The more he play the more comfortable he’ll be in big games.
Some kids play the same in front of 10k as they do in front of 92k or 62k. Some kids take time. He is learning and progressing year to year.

I thought his breakout year would be 2019 but there are enough signs to say I’m confident it’ll be in 2020.

Like Lachie Neale?

McCluggage, McGrath or Taranto? Lion happy to be part of the debate

Callum Twomey

Hugh McCluggage, Andrew McGrath and Tim Taranto at the 2016 darft

IT IS a NAB AFL Draft debate that looks likely to last a decade: Andrew McGrath, Tim Taranto or Hugh McCluggage?

The top three picks from the 2016 intake are into their third AFL seasons and all have strong claims on being the best player from their pool.

McGrath, Essendon’s first No.1 selection, won the Rising Star award in his debut season, Taranto (pick two) is dominating for Greater Western Sydney’s midfield, and McCluggage is emerging into a star for the Lions.

McCluggage, the third selection, admits it’s a storyline hard to ignore.

“You look at them. Not because you want to compare yourself to them, but I roomed with Andy at the draft and Tim I’ve met a few times and know quite well,” he told AFL.com.au .

“I’m not looking at them thinking ‘They’re going better than me’, I really hope they go well. It’s something that creates a bit of talk and people like talking about it. I don’t look too much into it but it is cool to be a part of.”

McCluggage has done his bit this year to keep the discussion going. The midfielder is averaging nearly 22 disposals, but has also kicked 10 goals, going goalless only once so far.

It is an area the 21-year-old wanted to sharpen up in his third season at AFL level, having felt wasteful at stages in his first two years.
“You always want to add strings to your bow,” he said. “It was definitely something I knew I’d done poorly in the first two years in terms of my accuracy.”

More than that, McCluggage is now a part of one of the most exciting midfield units in the competition.

He is attending more centre bounces than in the past, having put on 10 kilograms since he got to the club, and is having more impact on games with his deft foot skills, evasive nature and ability to extract the ball and then get it going.

McCluggage has been a key part of the Lions’ rise – they have won five games, already as many as last season’s total – and said his third season had brought new responsibilities and expectations.

“Whether I was ready or not to play AFL footy I don’t really know, I was a pretty light body and my first year wasn’t great. I had moments where I played all right but it was quite inconsistent,” he said.

"I definitely went through moments where I thought ‘Am I up to this?’

"I was struggling to get near it and having no impact on the game and internally you do doubt yourself, it’s just a human thing.

“I went to the coaches after a quiet game and they said I’d put yourself in good positions and I was working hard. They constantly say ‘You could’ve done this better’ but they instill confidence that you’ll get there.”

It’s a belief that is spreading throughout the Lions. In McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden and Cam Rayner, Brisbane has elite young talent on its list.

It has complemented that with the addition of star ex-Docker Lachie Neale, after adding Charlie Cameron last year, and can see a first finals appearance since 2009 on the horizon.

“We’ve had some tough times but I can see where we’re going and that’s pretty rewarding,” he said.

Playing well when not on the wing, I’m shocked

That’s David Myers role

He can play. Like really well. Will be a champion for us.

much better tonight

There ya go. Spent plenty of time back tonight & was in our top three players.

A better game tonight but still lacks penetration in his play - And POINTEDLY he played more back half today.

This time last week I was happy to see him take his time to develop as a mid but watching him off half back on Friday made me realise that maybe he’s just a natural half back flanker.

The way that he is able to sweep up from defence and evade traffic that is coming towards him and weave through it suits playing in defence.

Hard one to work out

Butcher Boy Clugs

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-best-and-worst-inside-50-kicks-revealed-and-essendon-aint-so-bad/news-story/86eacdc42138c638aee8c53a6f3d77a0

WORST KICKS INSIDE 50

1. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne): 45 kicks — 8.9 per cent retention rate

2. Rory Sloane (Adelaide): 31 kicks — 12.9 per cent retention rate

3. Ed Langdon (Fremantle): 30 kicks — 16.7 per cent retention rate

4. Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane Lions): 34 kicks — 17.6 per cent retention rate

1. Travis Boak (Port Adelaide): 38 kicks — 18.4 per cent retention rate

Yeah, oliver and Sloane are clearly rubbish footballers

did you read the article?

oliver has 45 inside 50’s and only 5 of those kicks have hit a target cleanly.

He’s a good footballer but thats a massive flaw in his game.

He would be our best midfielder by a mile if he played for us. He’s a gun, if he was ours we would claim he’s going to be a brownlow medallist and best player in the game

With a kick ratio like that, we’d take him, Essington his kicking even more and by making his effective kick ratio negative, tear a hole in the fabric of the universe and somehow end up a complete player with a conversion ratio like Dean Rioli.

I think the point of the post is that many of our players, McGrath in particular, aren’t as bad with hitting targets by foot as #Blitz Collective Wisdom seems to think.

Woosha made a comment on talking footy about unleashing McGrath in the middle full time from next year, him playing on the wing and flanks was always part of the progression he set out for him.

I have no doubt we selected the right man with our 1st pick, he’s as good a leader I have seen at 20 years old.

I wouldn’t be surprised if McGrath with 13 I50s for the season isn’t in those stats one way or the other. They must have a minimum cut-off, because McKernan has 1 inside 50 for the season, so he’s either at 100% or 0% and doesn’t show up in best or worst. I’d guess it’s 20 or 25.