#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

But, but, but… he has great leadership skillz!

I agree that Andy hasn’t progressed as expected. I blame @Deckham for putting too much pressure on him.
I’ve never met deckham, but he’s obviously hard to carry around because Andy is struggling with it :slight_smile:

But I’m still confident he’ll be a star eventually

3 Likes

Has barely been used in the guts and moreso the wing. The main issue is that McCluggage and Taranto are being used in their natural positions and McGrath never played on the wing at all in his junior year it was either half back or the main man in the middle.

If he isn’t in the guts proper then he will continue to only be a below average wingman which I really don’t understand why the coaches feel that’s the way to go.

4 Likes

This is why it’s a little baffling that the coaches seem to want to use guys like Fanta and Tippa in the guts so regularly.

It seems obvious that McGrath and Parish are the 2 guys that need to spend more time in the middle.
Zaharakis also seems to play better when he’s inside a bit…although personally I’d prefer to see him spend a bit of time at forward to finish his career. He was very good there early on.

Zerrett wouldn’t be hurt by spending a bit more time on the outside as well to help accommodate Parish and McGrath

1 Like

Because our coaches dont have a farking clue

3 Likes

Sounds just like the sort of thing someone without a clue would say.

2 Likes

Hahah I guess you’re happy with our last 4 years aswell ?

Like parish playing fwd flank?
Myers gifted games?
Francis playing Ffwd?

You’re the one without a clue bruv if you are defending our joke of a coaching panel.

Any other team would have had mcgrath and parish in the middle 50% more than what we do by now.
Instead we put tippa and fanta in there :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Who should we be playing on the wing?’
Natural wingers
Guelfi
Zaharakis
Fantasia wing/small forward.
Ham
Jok
Long
Maybe Snelling?

Imo coaches have him on the wing as he has speed. And maybe they are concerned about having another midget on the ball.
But with Shiel and smith out I think would be good if he was used more inside same with Zaka.

1 Like

Have you heard of a bloke called John Coleman? Look up what he did in his first 50 games: he set records that will never be broken.

Have you heard of a bloke called ■■■■ Reynolds? He won a Brownlow in his second season!

FFS, talk about the recency phenomenon.

4 Likes

Paul Salmon went Ok as well, and actually I reckon I could name 50 players who have had a better first 50 that McGrath.

I would argue that Walla has had a better first 50 than McGrath.

Lloyd had kicked 121 goals by the time he played his 50th game.

He had bags of 8 and 7 - and numerous bags of 5 and 6 goals.

McGraths first 50 is no where near the top of others.

1 Like

I was talking about current side.

Is john coleman the guy that makes esky’s?

5 Likes

Thats probably what it is

Makes you wonder why the drafted the midget then and not mcclugag or taranto who are both big midfielders

I could have sworn Andy was one of our better players on the weekend.

1 Like

McCluggage may be taller but he isn’t a big mid, his effectiveness isn’t in his size but his work rate, smarts and goal kicking ability. Taranto however does use his size and is very much a natural big bodied midfielder type

1 Like

yeah fair call.

Its so weird because I feel like is andy was playing for GWS or Brisbane he would allready be averaging 30 touches a game.

I could imagine him just cleaning it up for Geelong down back considering the way they play. The main point I make is that McGrath is the only one of the 3 not being used in the roles he dominated in at under 18 level and it’s no wonder he isn’t showing his ability as much as the other two, also doesn’t help that we are playing poor footy compared to the other two teams aswell.

6 Likes

Tricky Essendon playing 5D chess.

He needs to wait his turn. Will get his chance in the ruck once TBell retires.

3 Likes

Yeah spot on. Really helps when you’re given a more prominent role in a top team.

IMO McGrath could be a multiple All-Australian off the back flank.

One of his best games was off HB last year when he slotted into Goddard’s role (the game when it appeared like he did his knee).