#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Inside 50s that result in a Mark inside F50 would be a better stat.

In fact, kicks resulting in a mark would be a better stat for measuring kicking efficiency.

Or maybe the entry was a handy one and the forwards stuffed it up. Many possible reasons for any entry not being counted as effective.

Maybe the best indicator is what you can see with your ■■■■■■■ eyes.

4 Likes

Maybe. Then again, I’d guess there’s not a lot of people watching nine games a round to judge every player in the league on a per kick basis.

In retrospect, what a draft. McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage are all brilliant players.

1 Like

Especially if you spend all day kicking it backwards and sideways to guys on their own.

He may or may not make it as a mid - but what I don’t get is why so many are horrified by the possibility that we drafted an AA level HBFer with our #1 pick?

Modern football isn’t all about clearances; pressure and intercept marking, leading to scores from turnovers, have been hallmarks of the top teams in recent years. Andy is brilliantly suited to modern footy.

2 Likes

Those stats don’t indicate how smart the forwards are. It’s hard to hit someone on a lead if they are standing there at the top of the goal square asking for it long and high.

1 Like

As science has shown this is not an objective indicator.
For example, the studies of eyewitness descriptions of crime suspects;
He was tall / short/ medium height
He was blonde/ dark haired/ bald
He had close set eyes / a manic stare / wearing sunglasses in jeans/ black trousers/ tracksuit pants and a red / white/ paisley jacket. Etc. Etc.

Given many Blitzers regard our current form as a ‘crime against football ‘, it’s no surprise that people can’t agree on what they’ve actually seen.

Different thing.
One is a static observation and recognition, the other a fluid and dynamic assessment of overall performance and influence.

1 Like

■■■■ me, could you imagine the arguments in here is everybody just trusted their own eyes and perception of players performances?

50 games this week. got there quick.

2 Likes

Still only 20!

My wife and I went to a Cats game many years ago. As we were walking out we discussed how GAJ had a fairly quiet game.

We got home and checked the stats and he’d had 38 touches. WTF were we watching I said to my wife.

1 Like

The penetration is the main thing for me. Because he can only kick 45m, if he can’t run when he gets the ball then has to go short or handball which is far less damaging.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think being able to kick 50 metres is that big of a deal. It’s being able to nail your passes 30 metres and below that are far more important.

Zerrett’s best kicks have been 20-30m diagonal kicks that pick out a teammate. The best mids never mess those kicks up. We have players that do it far more regularly than I’d like.

Because we have been crying out for a jet midfielder since forever - and were even promised one as the highest priority after the 2001 GF loss.

When at last we had the #1 pick, after years of picking HBFers and trying to turn them into midfielders, its not only ironic but disappointing to use that #1 pick to turn a midfielder into a HBFer.

3 Likes

getting more confident in traffic as time goes by. quick thinker by nature, execution is getting quicker by the game. love him

he gives 100% like guelfi, aerially is good despite height, got a good defensive spoil in.
And you feel relaxed comfortable when he has the ball in hand that he won’t waste it. Just a smart player.
Would like to see him get more of the pill though.

4 Likes

Great footy brain

Gives you 110% for 4 qtrs

Playing a ripper season clearing it from hb

1 Like