#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Anyway, Andy Mac is flying.

Couldn’t have asked for a better number 1 pick, is on course to be a deadset champ and leader

I have to admit it now, I wanted McClugg and was dissappointed when we picked McG so don’t listen to me I’ve no idea whatsoever.

1 Like

Don’t think the possession rate is the problem. Has had a couple low possession games since he was rested but before then he was leading the whole rising star field in that category. The rest seems to have stunted some of the momentum he had gained but you can still see he is building. I very much like that he’s going for runs and using his foot skills now compared to the obligatory handball he would give at the start of the season too.

Would like to see him go through the middle to see what he can bring but he looks very good down back.

Extremely good.

Did he?? what a tool…
i dont mind Kingy, but that is one ridiculous statement.

So here is what will happen with the Rising Star.

All the AFL media commentators (or opinionists) and award decision makers (who often overlap) are prone to sheep-think.

After the byes, one of the more revered commentators (say a Leigh Matthews) will make a comment like “Yeah that Andrew McGrath has been alright but that was expected because he was a number 1 pick and anyway he just gets cheap possessions in a good team. But Geez that Jack Silvangi he is the one in my mind that is best of the young kids - he’s a game breaker for Carlton”.

Then the sheep will all jump on this because now they can play the little sycophants to two people Leigh Matthews and Stephen Silvagni. Next thing sheep-think kicks in and they are all saying the same thing “Jack this, Silvagni that”. Then come the end of the year (after they have all put their bets on), bingo "award goes to J Silvagni (Carlton).

4 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, D King is a moron (in lieu of other words that won’t pass the filter).

You may be over rating him a tad there.

3 Likes

and the stats are testament to that fact !

1 Like

As much as i dislike David King, he did not say this. His word were “Zach Merret, he’s been around a while”

2 Likes

You’ve given this both too much, and too little thought

2 Likes

There is no value in comparing 1st year players after half a season. It was always known that Mccluggage would take longer. It will take 4-5 years if you really want to do a comparison.

I also wanted McLuggage but I’m also really happy with McGrath so far.

3 Likes

I agree with werewolf…in this thread.

1 Like

Wasn’t comparing them, I didn’t think McG was worthy of #1, I thought he was too manic and thought his game would not transfer well to Snr football…I was wrong

All the talk was of McG vs McC… and also on Setterfield.

However on the small sample size thus far if we were going after a pure mid it would have to be SPS. Already had a BOG playing solely midfield, he has everything covered as a mid.

Speed. Courage. Ferocious tackling. Magnificent skills on both sides.

He is a gem.

… not that McGrath isn’t a gun, I’m rapt with him

1 Like

End of the day you just need to wait out their careers until you compare for the most part.

Plenty of times the race seems run even after 4/5/6 years and it ain’t.

Has an amazing awareness of how much time he has. Every time it looks like he’s about to be caught he manages to find a team mate or create space for himself. His ability to cut through traffic and create a change of direction in our ball movement is also second to none. Might not be the one kicking the goals but that make no mistake he is vital in setting them up. Absolute jet.

1 Like

A sign for tonight.

BOG

1 Like

player.

Great game, really tried to make things happen late in the game. gun