#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Certainly wasn’t his best game and I agree I would like to see him put it on the boot more at the end of some of those runs.
Hoping he will have a big game against pies next week

Didn’t make one in the '84 finals series :slight_smile:

I never saw him make one

I regard anyone outside the front rows of Level 1, yelling a specific instruction like “kick it”, as a moron.

To be fair it’s quicker to say “kick it” than “kick it straight”. I’d hope the latter is a given.

No doubt McGrath handballed too often. However, it seems to be a very infectious disease.

last time we had someone who loved handballing, he went on to improve his kicking and win the Charlie… (and then get SAGAd and dumped on, shhhh)

McGrath is a first year player. He is not the issue. The whole team was over-possessing the ball and over handballing it on Sunday.

It’s more when the unmanned opposition player is the only one ahead of the play, hence why they weren’t kicking it begin with.

Really want us to chuck him in the guts for the last month. Set him up for a big 2018, even if we just pay him on the wings as a speedy link-up.

1 Like

Agree

I dont see us getting more value from him in the middle. I think he is going to give us more value off HB

2 Likes

Agree entirely, we need him to move up the field and help us break out of the backline more.

Will be unleashed this week onto a wing and through the midfield.

Dea to come in and take his spot at half back.

I wouldn’t mind that. I like Dea.

1 Like

I think he isn’t confident enough to kick it or make his own plays like he did last year.

He has the talent to do so, in spades, but the way they’ve been training him it’s obvious he’s got some idea that it’s somebody else more senior’s responsibility to deliver the ball by foot.

The thing is, he’s getting more of it, and he’s feeling the pressure to hand it off to the older players he’s sort of probably in awe of (as you would be) instead of playing his natural style, you see it in young players all the time.

Would hate to have our essington play style destroying his natural style of footy that had him go at number 1.

Have no doubt he’s the best short kick on the run bar Tippa in the team, has the most natural action and is a good decision maker. These are some of the hallmarks of his game we don’t see, and I think it might be because of his rank in the team, let him off the leash I say.

Sure. Medium term though…

Reminds me a lot of Zerrets first year.

Zerret was very handball happy and look how he’s turned out, becoming one of the games best kicks.

But as the seasons progressed Andy has become predictable for the opposition, albeit his efficiency % looks good on paper.

Would be happy to see him kick to some 1 on 1’s ipfield, even if it means some come back the other way and his efficiency goes down.

He often runs with the ball and it looks like his about to break a line and kick it. but then its like he sees nothing on up field that he likes and handballs it to someone in space. Seems he would rather the team keep possession of the ball then kicking it to a contest.

I noticed he did it quiet a bit in his u18 highlight video too. As I dont get to many games live I cant tell if there was something on or not. So perhaps there is and he is not confident enough to try make the kick? Perhaps someone who sees a few live games can fill us in?

1 Like

It’s not so much like that, as exactly that when he then handballs off.

That’s why it happens in games we lose, and why everything has to be functioning game plan wise for some players to play well, and why sometimes players seem to play shitt but still get picked, because they were doing thier job, but others were not doing theirs.

If Blitz could get this one concept through it’s skull, there would be much, much less angst.

6 Likes