#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Kick more!

He won’t be in the backline next year. Need his quality in the middle.

He was very very good today, his poise, run and handball was excellent. He moved onto a wing at times and then drifted back.

1 Like

For a second there I thought it was 93 again and Wanganeen was tearing it up.
Moved just like him.
Very exciting.

2 Likes

He’s got such good awareness with the ball as well. That run from half back yesterday was amazingly good.

His lateral movement and awareness is great, also his ability to evade a tackler or take the hit is a feature.

His hands are amazing but he seriously needs to not always look to handball at every opportunity as he is such a great field kick.

A couple of times over the past couple of weeks he has hand balled to a player with someone right on their hammer which has resulted in a turnover.

I’m sure it will all come with time as it is an experience issue, other than that he has been great this year.

Agree on his kicking - he actually has superb touch on his field kicked and over a smaller sample size nicely weighted long passes to advantage too. Just looks all class with everything he does. If you go back over his U18 footage he actually has tremendous hands and aerial skill too for a smaller player- and we havn’t even seen that yet at senior level. You get the feeling he is playing well within have himself as he transitions to AFL level… Just concentrating on doing the basic things well.

Gonna be some player.

2 Likes

Parish was more of a handballer last year too. The whole handball:kicking ratio will improve next year no doubt at all.

Personally I would still have him off half back with small stints through the midfield next year. We just don’t have anyone on the list other than McKenna who can break the lines down back.

Need gif of his run through the middle

2 Likes

The best thing about the run was the kick at the end. There was no one to kick to long so brought hartley into play, which gave raz the time to get back. Some of our senior players would not have that composure, and this is from a first year player.

2 Likes

That’s because he wasn’t hurdling over other players at the same time.

2 Likes

don’t underestimate the difficulty of that 5 metre kick to Harts on the run full pace, or the creativity of it

everyone’s going on about his gallop… how about that pirhoette he pulled off in the middle of the ground…? 1st year players aren’t supposed to do those things!!!

5 Likes

Plays like a number 1 draft pick for mine…

1 Like

Funny you say that, because he actually plays better than a no1 pick when looking at some of the previous ones. If we also picked him because he has upside, then look out!

1 Like

I fluctuate on my feelings with him on what I refer to as the Murphy - Wanganeen scale

Sometimes I see more Marc Murphy than I like and other times he is all Wanganeen. Honestly feel the truth will be somewhere more towards Wanganeen but worst case will be a tougher version of Murpy.

1 Like

As much as we give him ■■■■ (murphy), not the worst outcome with a pick 1.

2 Likes

There have been a few glimpses at his aerial skills. He has on multiple occasions managed to go back with the flight of the ball and spoil without giving away a free kick, something that a lot of players struggle with. I actually feel really confident watching him go into a marking contest, regardless of the size of his opponent.

1 Like

The getting the ball, looking up field and just waltzing past multiple opposition players while he waits for the moment, then executes, is his trademark, and I look forward to seeing more of it for years.

Sort of player who will get the ball at HB and have multiple options because of his speed, intelligence and skill.

Pretty good package of a footy player.

2 Likes

Also outmarked and beat elliot las week in a one on one, and it wasn’t kicked to MCG’s advantage. Used his body well Elliot is a seriously good mark too. I know its only one contest but it was at a critical time.