#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

The kids a gun and in 3-4 years we will be talking about him as a Brownlow hopeful…just has all the attributes of a A grader.

Too think we still have Much and Begley to have a look at.

Heppell
Merrett
Parish
Laverde
Langford
Fantasia
Tippa
Mutch
Begley
Clarke

Thats a nice rotation

2 Likes

Just read an article where they had Journo’s rate who will win the Rising Star at years end…

They all rate reckon in order:
Burton
Powell-Pepper
McGrath

Just dont want Essendon to get an award from the scandal.

2 Likes

Burton is hot fav with the bookies. I’ve hardly seen Hawks play, so I have no idea on him. I would have thought at this stage McG would be ahead of SPP

1 Like

Does anyone really give a shitt about the “Rising Star” thing anyway??

It’s all completely subjective, so essentially means sweet fk all IMO.

Magoo will probably be a better player than them all over the long haul, … or he won’t be, and whether you win this award or not, it won’t alter the end result one bit.

It’s always felt like a bit of a pathetic AFL PR/something else to waffle about bullshit construct to me really, and I could not care less who “wins” it.

One of our stat-o-philes here might do a run down on winners of it and how they rate against their draft peers after 5 years or so to see, … but I’ll wager it does not reflect how a players career will pan out in any meaningful way.

8 Likes

I gave a ■■■■ when Hep won it, then fail to give a ■■■■ when we have nobody having a chance.

Here’s the current odds. Definitely a 3 horse race at this stage:

Oh right, of course, … it’s also something else to Gamble on…

9 Likes

If you like. Or it can be seen as a good indicator of who is going to win. You do realise why the favourite is the favourite?

Its just a continuation of the draft process, they get drafted and then the RS is meant to go to the best kid. It also gives something (hope) at least to the bottom teams who have the highest picks and are rebuilding.
I agree, I dont give a shitt either, but its a talking point and adds to the game within the game - Immore likely to notice other teams young players because of it, noms sort of mean “one to watch”.

1 Like

Because the most money has been bet on them; it has zero to do with the players talent.

My issues with the Rising Star are the nomination process, the eligibility criteria, who votes, and the voting system. That aside I like the idea of it.

11 Likes

Ummmm…

Not for fixed odds, for totalizers yes. And the the second part, I’ve no idea what you mean.

Isn’t this thread due for a title update?

1 Like

Nah — He has descended from the heavens, and is resting amongst us. This is as inactive as a star can possibly be.

4 Likes

Poetic.

Also a tad odd :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought it was a stellar response …

1 Like

A litte nebulous for my liking.

That would make him a white dwarf I guess.

1 Like

We’ve already got one red dwarf.

1 Like

Crazy Bomber does