#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

His knock at the Swans was that he was a whinger and didn’t like taking one for the team. Unless he played in the position he wanted to he would sook.

Yes, he is a good player and can rack up the numbers but I want someone who is committed to the team and not just in it for themselves.

1 Like

You have to wait until this years draft to do a full comparison because it was such a complex trade. Also there is no doubt that getting both Mitchell and O’Meara meant losing Smitchell and Lewis… so that has to be factored in too.

There are still so many unknowns and its fully possible that Hawks can both ‘win’ and ‘lose’ at the same time out of the deals. There is no doubt in my mind that they have picked up two awesome midfielders that will anchor their middle group for the next 10 years… but I just wonder at the cost and it may be impossible to ever truly calculate that or even evaluate it in isolation.

[quote=“Houli_Dooli, post:1421, topic:3760, full:true”]I guess we need to compare Mitchell and O’Meara to Hawks likely picks at the draft.

Pick 10 (2017 1st rnd pick, 23, 36) + Pick 14.

14 - Todd Marshall - Mitchell
10 - Jack Bowes - O’Meara

now you would say Hawks are winning on those trades early on.
If O’Meara does a knee or Marshall turns into elite forward things may change

[/quote]
To begin with, I don’t think anyone, anywhere will ever say the Mitchell trade won’t be considered a fantastic trade. I literally have no idea what Sydney were thinking. They traded him for a single teens pick (#14) and a later pick upgrade. There is not a team in the comp who wouldn’t have taken Mitchell on those terms. It was completely, totally idiotic, even moreso when you consider Hawthorn had no bargaining power and are a premiership rival. It boggles my mind to this day, and will continue to do so. Even if Mitchell gets hit by a bus next week or pick #14 (Marshall) turns into the next Lloyd/Franklin it was still a terrible trade. Whether or not T. Mitchell is as good as one of Lewis or S. Mitchell is totally besides the point from the POV of if it was a good move, although obviously still totally relevant in considering if their midfield is stronger this year compared to last year.

O’Meara is a different story. The deal was:

OUT: picks #23 (Hill compensation), #36, #48, #66, #70 and their 2017 1st and 2nd rounders
IN: O’Meara and GWS’s 2017 2nd rounder

Given GWS is likely to finish top 4 in 2017, the odds are that is a second round pick downgrade, with the extent depending on Hawthorn’s position. That is a monster set of compensation for one player who has missed two years with injuries. That is a lot of picks for players that could come good for O’Meara to beat if you’re considering his value in the trade. It has totally ripped out any chance of a rebuild via the draft for the next two years as well.

2 Likes

You might want to re read & edit that post Ants, … I think I know what you’re actually saying, … but it’s very confusing.

Well that tells you how keen the Swans were to rid themselves go Tom Mitchell the person.

Also tells you how much Hawthorn value Jaeger O’Meara the footballer.

All the rest of it is just you saying you think it’s stupid.

1 Like

Still wish we got the jaeger.

even at 80% capacity hes top 10% afl talent.

3 Likes

Is that official or your gut feeling or rumours?

I guess I hadn’t heard a lot… but I (like Ants) was shocked at how cheaply they let him go. I considered TMitchell a blue chip midfielder and yeah… they got paid peanuts.

1 Like

Wash your mouth out!

1 Like

[quote=“Reboot, post:1427, topic:3760, full:true”]

Don’t deny it. Don’t have any inside information so can’t comment on Mitchell. For O’meara I’ll just say he may be worth all that, but I still think it was a bad move. They don’t just need to replace Lewis /Mitchell. Theyalso need to replace Hill, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead. Although nailing enough picks to do that was a long shot, I don’t think going one player and late picks is the answer.

1 Like

Pigeon…

1 Like

Whispers and rumours.

And yeah, they accepted absolute peanuts.

3 Likes

Fark man. Give him a chance. Fairly sure JOM wasn’t touted by whispy Watson as best prospective mid ever before he’d ever played a senior game for 4 points

True, that took just over half a season.

BUMP.

Psyched to see this kid tear the Hawks a new sphincter on Satdee.

Woosha said he is under serious consideration, Dois has backed him in.

Its a massive game .But he has done a really good pre-season, and performed OK in the pre-season games. The G should suit his running game, if he can get loose out on the wing, we might get a bit of a taste of what he will bring us over the next 12-14 years…

I just hope the whole event does not faze him tbh, There could be around 90,000 there.

1 Like

We all know he is playing.

The only reason it’s not announced yet is PR rollout.

There’ll be about 4 or 5 bits of content roll out today/tomorrow - video of Woosha telling him, Pigeon calling the parents, Pigeon being interviewed, Robert Shaw writing an article on him.

All builds the hype around Satdee and the push for 60k members!

FWIW, I have ZERO concerns about whether or not he’s up to it on the footy field - Watch him shine like diamond.

3 Likes

Sounds like he is going to play which is great!

He needs to work on his kicking a fair bit IMO which isn’t a flaw you’d expect of a number one draft pick.

Against this mob though, given how dangerous the small forward he will be accountable for will be, the priority is of course that he does the job defensively.

He’s a bit of a Scotty West at this stage (i.e. handball is his natural instinct), including during his draft year, but hopefully as he hones his kicking skills he learns to trust it more and therefore allows himself to be more damaging.

Good luck Pigeon!

1 Like

The Tarranto video was good i thought. will follow him and MCLuggage this year as well.

Petrevski-Seton named as well without even a JLT match to his name, shows how much the blues are struggling with depth. Palmer, Kerridge named as emergencies. so they are going the youth root.

Im 50/50 on whether McGrath has done enough so far. It will be a close call IMO.

Frankly if McGrath gets picked ahead of McKenna (as seems likely) McKenna would be justified in feeling a little ■■■■■■.

At this stage Conor certainly offers more going forward and I haven’t seen anything from McGrath to suggest he is a substantially better lock down option.

3 Likes

I’d like both of them to play

1 Like