#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Excellent thread name change.

Deserved nom. Should start as no. 1 BP ahead of bags from here in. He did a better job on betts, beating him in a couple of making contests and it brought him into the game more. I’d start him on Elliot this week. Bags or DEA to fassolo (just stay goal side please and you’ll go a long way towards taking him out of the game)

4 Likes

SPP came flying out of blocks but slowed up past few weeks.

McGrath getting better, and from what we have seen should transition to midfield easily.

Disco seemingly has nailed it.

2 Likes

Week 1-3 - Rising star award is crap, who cares!
Week 4 - Gotta love the rising star award, McGrath will be a star!
Week 5-24 - Rising star award is crap, who cares!

8 Likes

Edited

4 Likes

It was a farking awesome award back in 2011

5 Likes

I think it’s a great award. Youngsters are the big thing that gives supporters hope. Especially when your team isn’t doing well. Sure it can be affected by the media like a lot of things but it’s more accurate than the Brownlow.

Hope we can receive another one (Francis) or two (Begley, Mutch).

1 Like

Waltzing?

7 Likes

A fitting reward for a brilliant game under duress down back. His attack on the ball, and also his defensive work were superb and far, far better than I had expected from a 4-game player. At the moment he is keeping it simple with ball in hand, of his 28 touches 20 were handballs, which is to be expected and Parish was very similar last year. In time that kick:handball ratio will even out and we will see his kicking skill come to the fore. Well played young man! :clap:

6 Likes

Yeah…but Lewis Taylor over the Bont, or even Zach M?

Zach probably played too many as sub, but Bontempelli was clearly better than Taylor.

Not the only time they’ve made a ridiculous decision either.

I am with Ivan. He takes the #1 small forward from the get go, starting with Elliot a week from today

His handball is already elite
So how long will it be before he starts taking a slot in the midfield rotation ?
Probably when we feel the need for real speed and we are prepared to roll the dice.
Next week?

A fitting reward for his effort and endeavour. The first of many awards to come his way l feel.

1 Like

He is zooming up the charts in the ratings, and sits in 3rd place (35) behind SPS (40) and SPP ( 48.3)

Well done. Have loved all of his 3 games. One of the few positives on Sat night.

SPP is hitting the wall.

McGrath has side-stepped around it.

2 Likes

I just can’t help but look at the panel of judges and think “I simply don’t care about the opinions of these people”.

13 Likes

Something i forgot to mention. At the game in Adelaide the other day i was sitting above the defensive 50 with a perfect view of it all. Mcgrath had been playing well, the rest of the defence mostly spudding it up.
At one stage he wasn’t even in the play but in the defensive 50, keeping a close check on his opponent. Anyhow Adelaide kicked as easy goal and I was watching Mcgrath and he kicked his foot into the ground in disgust that we let them get another goal which he wasn’t even responsible for. I found it quiet surprising how disappointed he was, most young guys at this stage are just finding their feet, happy to be in the side, he was visually disgusted at the other defenders for letting the Crows get another goal.
The kid obviously isn’t use to losing and doesn’t like it one bit, hopefully he stays that way and doesn’t get use to being on a losing team.

14 Likes

Zandy McMerrit.

4 Likes

Will win it this year! He will be leading after 4 rounds (now he has been nominated) and if he keeps playing at this level for the year, the award is his.

Well done, Andy! You’re a gun!

He wont win it purely because of the selection panel again this year.