#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

We seem to have drafted a few kids with certain traits in common - the instinct to stand up in big moments and really compete and lead. Heppell dragged Gippy all the way to finals. Parish is a competive animal. Francis ditto and dominated in multiple positions for SA. I can say from watching the VFL that Laverde hates losing and tries to sieze the moment. Zerrett wasnt as obvious at underage but he is clearly as driven as anyone ive seen and simply does not stop. Ever.

And now Mcgrath, who multiple times in his TAC season rose to prominence in moments of decisive need.

It bodes very very well for the future even without looking at the raw talent levels.

14 Likes

What an impressive debut!
Absolutely rapt with his efforts and composure.

Lav will run 20 Leads that get ignored just for that one out let and do it all again

Still waiting for barnzy to post his assessment of his debut … :ear:

It was fine, but i still think taranto will be the best player of the draft.

still feel dirty we used pick 1 on a back pocket though.

WTF

1 Like

Only starting in the back pocket until he learns the game. Will be a 10 year midfielder eventually

3 Likes

What, i’ll support him on game day. But if you ask my opinion i’ll give it. Also think drafting redman and morgan instead of mathieson will be a huge mistake.

1 Like

Fool, badly wanted us to pick Andy and even more glad now. In all seriousness though, I would have taken any one of the top 3. We wont know for 4 to 5 years who will become the best.

Lets just recruit all pure mids and be just like collingwood.

lets draft talls essington style. with the sprinkle of hbfs.

1 Like

Yes, because hbf is the easiest position to play. If your not a mid or a fwd in your junior years you can never play anywhere else. Typical thinking on these forums.

Now if you want some proper discussion rather than BSD trying to stir ■■■■.

about halfway through the 2nd he peeled off the ball immediately to man up cyril.

we’ve not had a player have the foresight to do that for a long time. Cyril then gives him an almighty heave which should’ve been a free by mcenirniry or whatever his name is a fkg cnt.

7 Likes

Yes i saw it too. I reckon he raised the arm too. Should get looked at was off the ball and head contact.

He also got a double fist into the chest from roughy when he was on the ground earlier in the game.

Like i said earlier, tough kid he got up both times and played on.

2 Likes

Or he could be the best small defender in the game.

That would also be of incredible use to us.

No stiring intended mate just difference of opinion to many on here including your good self.

Yes, he does have very good defensive smarts, and will attack with more venom and speed as he gains more confidence. He can play as a mid and I am sure eventually he will. But at times he may actually be more of a weapon down back locking down a small fwd and attacking at the same time.

Looks like a mid to me, is smart in and under and reads the ball well. Reckon he will be groomed for Jobe’s role

Jobe’s role?

I don’t see that at all.

I think he means for the quick sharp inside handball that he can provide. But I agree he will never be big or heavy enough for the grunt work that Jobe does. Will be a little bit more like Zac and Parish who can win it on the inside and receive on the outside. But with more pace.

Yep, I wasn’t stirring shitt there, not sure how you took it as such.

If I’d left the crickets comment in rather than replacing it with the ear emoji, I’d wear it though … :wink:

I genuinely wanted to hear your take on his debut, & wondered if his incredibly composed, looks like he’s been playing for years, 22 possession display had made you re assess your stance on our choice at all?

If you now can see why we chose him over other more perhaps flashy types.Aside from his obvious skills, and as I finally got to see last night, speed, I think his mental stability was the guiding factor, and it was completely evident last night.

If his first game is any guide, I reckon very shortly, he will become a virtual errorless footballer. He simply has unshakeable presence of mind, & lightning fast decision making no matter the circumstance.It’s something we really needed to add to the team. That quality of calm in a player goes beyond just him, it flows into the players around him, and potentially settles the whole team in times when nerves might bring us undone, as they have so often over the past 5 years … or more.

3 Likes