#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

I thought he wasn’t ready.

I know nothing Jon Snow.

I wanted a potential a-grader that could win us games with brilliance.

We’ve got a potential a-grader that can keep us in games though.

3 Likes

Already a fan. Clearly no first game jitters at all… got the ball, used it well, looks already like an important cog in the machine.

1 Like

His JLT form was just good without really anything outstanding.

But when the Mickey Mouse games were over and the real stuff was on he stepped up.

With 22 possessions was way more involved than it seemed watching the game.

Just goes about his business and gets the job done. Well done young fella. Only going to get better as well.

1 Like

Why because you cant win a game from the backline? So the guy who has saved 6 and sets up goals running from the backline isn’t as important? and not a match winner? Flawed logic. He won finials for his team in the champs playing in the backline by blanketing players and setting up devastating attacks running out of the backline.

They could have kept him in the midfield where he was playing well, but he was more damaging down back, as he was the only player who could shut down there best player. Then set up attacks at the same time. Not many players can do both at once.

4 Likes

taranto and florent were massive for their tac win.
ditto for the tac all-stars.

1 Like

Absolutely they where, was hoping Floret was going to slip to us. MCG didnt do as much in the all stars game as the 2 you mentioned. But they are Micky mouse games compared to the finials he played in for his team.

He obviously won’t be able to do the grunt work that Jobe does but he has good awareness and is good in traffic so I think he will become a very good clearance winner.

That’s crap though, you keep saying we drafted a back pocket. Mate we all know he isn’t a back pocket, he was racking up 30+ possie games from the midfield in TAC and even went forward to kick goals occasionally when they were desperate. As if he can’t win games for us with brilliance you are just being deliberately obtuse when you make arguments like that

5 Likes

I reckon he could become a GAJ type midfielder in time. He’s got some of the physical traits of GAJ (power, balance and explosiveness) as well as sharing similar football traits (clean hands, good decision making and awareness).

7 Likes

A few things stand out about this kid.

1. Vision/decision making/instinct. He sums the play up quickly, and doesn’t stuff about with the ball. Gets it, and moves it on - usually to the right option.
  2. Clean hands. He rarely fumbles, and is a very creative handballer, often starting the link up run through the middle of the ground.
  3. Balance. Doesn’t fall over, and while I haven’t seen a lot of him in the air, he doesn’t ever seem to get outmanoeuvred or bumped under the ball.
  4. Effort. There was a moment in the 3rd quarter (I think) where he laid a tackle, then laid another big wrap up and drag down tackle, and then was back on his feet quickly for a third effort.

We’ve got a 200+ gamer here - and frankly, I couldn’t care less about Clayton Oliver, or Sam Petrevski Seton, or Tim Taranto. Very happy with what we’ve got.

8 Likes

We will get Taranto for bugger all in 2 years time, sounds like he is homesick already

He’s building the defensive foundations required to be an AFL footballer and doing a very nice job of it. Soon they will give him a license to back his judgement, put on the afterburners and tear out of the backline and through the midfield. When he can balance both, and I’m confident he will be able to, then we will see why he was a smart choice at number one. His balance, fast hands, strength in the contest and lightning speed are a combination of attributes that very few others have ever had. Exciting times ahead.

And I wanted Clug

3 Likes

For the sake of stopping this silly argument champion data assessed that McGrath win more possessions in the midfield than McCluggage. Don’t know about Taranto but I would suggest if McGrath win more ball in the midfield than McCluggage then he had Taranto comfortably covered.

From memory 60+% of his possessions were midfield. Anyone saying he is a back pocket is a troll.

If blitz has taught me anything, it’s that quoting champion data will end any argument.

10 Likes

Cos we have such a stellar record of getting talented young players to our club via trade.

5 Likes

For a bloke that some on here was saying is slow, he moved pretty well last night.

We haven’t been a real destination club for years, hopefully that changes now

1 Like

The things I would’ve done for florent to slide to our 2nd.

4 Likes

There was one bit of play in the 3rd quarter I think where two Hawk players were converging on a loose ball on our half forward line when McGrath just bisected them and collected the ball at pace, exploded through the would-be tackler and drilled it deep forward. The acceleration and power in that play and the intelligence to time his run and know when to peel off his defender and attack was just awesome.

Mouth watering prospect, we are going to enjoy watching this jet for years to come - great debut.

3 Likes