#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

the 5 dickish cherry picking bullshit front running goals from cyril and breust didn’t happen tonight, and we won by 5 goals

Breust has kicked over 40 goals for 5 seasons, we can’t even get a ff to do that for us

McG has ambrose like shut down ability for smaller forwards, the agility of Colyer, the footy smarts of zerrett and the confident clean smooth kicking action of walla.

7 Likes

I’ve finally worked out who he reminds me of and plays like:

Scotty West…

He’s going to be a ripper!

2 Likes

Reckon Scott West was a pretty different style of player tbh. They are both excellent by hand and great contested players, but McGrath has a great Wanganeen-like leap and aerial ability plus some real acceleration and spread across the ground, neither of which West for all his fireceness and consistency was known for.

1 Like

Yea please and a slice of Setterfield as well.

2 Likes

And it looks like we will be talking about Pigeon and “Oooh Ahhh” for many years to come.

1 Like

Why are we discussing who we got he is ours now and im definitely happy we got him we just beat hawthorn he played well is not a prospect player will take the reins from kelly and be a star

There was a lot to like, but what I liked the most about his game was his composure. Means we’re going to see all of his other special traits sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I seriously don’t get the HBF comments… he may play HBF this year (maybe next) but he is clearly a midfielder being groomed whilst playing HB line.

See Heppell as the latest example of that pipeline. I also think they would have done the same thing with Parish except for the ‘issues’ last year when we needed him in the deep end.

Absolutely nothing wrong with teaching these young kids the defensive side of the game first (they already know how to get it 30 times and run rampant in attack) before unleashing them.

Kid is seriously special.

2 Likes

Small forwards are becoming more important in the game. Look at the goal kickers around the league this weekend.

Which means small backs are also becoming vital assets.

4 Likes

#1 Andy McGrath - Shoulda picked Andy McGrath :wink:

17 Likes

2016 Top 10 - round1

1. McGrath - 22 possessions / 5 tackles
  2. Taranto - 13 possessions / 2 tackles
  3. McClug - DNP - injured
  4. Ainsworth - 14poss / 6 tackles / 2goals
  5. Setterfield - DNP
  6. SPS - 11possessions / 7 tackles
  7. Scrimshaw - DNP
  8. Logue - DNP
  9. Brodie - DNP
  10. Bowes - 11 Possessions / 3 tackles

Note SPS played off zero JLT practice matches so ran out of steam after an excellent first half.

Bowes played same role as McGrath across HBF with half the impact.

Ainsworth small fwd and did great job considering how much dominance lions had on game early on.

Taranto in GWS mid rotation. Crows smashed them all over the park and he was largely ineffective

Not that one game can be used as a definitive factor but if you were to you’d think the EFC recruiting team would be pretty happy with themselves

McGrath slotted in seamlessly and is going to be a very reliable player for many years to come.

5 Likes

Realise these discussions will go on for his whole career and happy to state I think we got a ripper (as you should at pick 1) but to be fair to some others… McG is coming into a much stronger side than most pick 1’s go into.

I know we had doubts… but our team is very talented and on paper looks like a seasoned outfit. I reckon far easier for a kid like McG to come into that than say, FC’s crapola list and club and then try to do well…

Don’t think McGrath will get the RS nomination this week, on top of an impressive 1st year performance from Powell-Pepper you have a number of great performances from blokes who have been in the system a couple years - Tom Philips, Milera, Marchbank and Castagna were all great.

Conversely I can easy see the AFL happy to phone it in and continue the talk about the #1 pick and just giving it to him after a moment’s consideration

1 Like

Yep, for once the media hype train might work in our favour with McGrath this year. It was the same with Heppell. Not saying Heppell didn’t deserve it, I just remember performance comparisons were very lineball with Shuey that season. It could just as easy have gone to Shuey if he was a higher draft pick in his first year (was in his 2nd year).

1 Like

Mate, he won games for Sandringham and Vic Metro off his own boot. Basically what you’re saying is a potential A-Grader that could only lock down a player which is absolutely off the mark.

He was in his third. And that’s why he lost it in the end.

1 Like

Best debut for us since Zaharkis IMO.

If he can have as good a year as Heppell did in his debut year, it would be great.

Please - name change for the thread?

#1 Andrew McGrath - Shoulda picked Andrew McGrath

1 Like