#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Yeah, shame he’s not given a license to create. On preseason form he won’t be in the round 1 team unless the coaches are happy to pump games into him to help fast track his development?

If only he was able to run past the pack and drill it into fifty like he did in the first half. That’s was very enticing!

Played himself out of round 1 I think.

He was poor yesterday. I’m saying that, we need him round 1 with bags in terrible form and the hawks having a abundance of smalls

3 Likes

I would play him r1, agree he didn’t have a great game but either did a lot of our backs Kelly, Stants, and bags where pretty average. Play the kids over the senior players if its line ball. The learning experience playing on the games best small fwds will be invaluable.

I’m neither here or there on McG playing round 1. You can’t dispute his speed & handball ability, but his foot skills aren’t flash at the minute. No need to rush him, maybe a better option to hone metres gained by foot skills in VFL. Maybe bring Dea in for round 1.

Not sure whether he plays round 1, but worth noting that he was on the ground for less than 50% of the game yesterday - and when he was he played in defense - so I don’t find the fact that he had only 7 stats particularly concerning.

5 Likes

I’m against playing him. Breust and Rioli will carve him up and it will hurt his confidence. He needs time to get the pace of the game.

He has had a taste, give him a few weeks in the VFL and let him be comfortable at that level.

Bring him in against Carlton.

4 Likes

But who else do we put on their smalls then? There is three to cover

Puopolo, rioli and Breust

means Kelly and/or Gleeson has to mind one of Puopolo or Cyril. No thanks. Gleeson probably gets Breust. I’ve got no idea with Rioli and Puopolo, as much as I don’t think baguley deserves a game he will probably get one. Mcgrath gets one of them.

Il be staggered if he doesn’t play round one.

It’s worth taking into account that he spent less than half the game on the actual field (47% tog), which was substantially less than anyone else bar Leuenberger. He didn’t do a whole lot when he was on the field, granted, but he wasn’t on the field much.

4 Likes

I don’t think he is ready for Round 1. I think if he was picked at 50 he wouldn’t even be in the discussions. I don’t think that it a slight on McG as a player or predicts his future career.

Right now we have three pretty average JLT games to go by and his output has decreased in all 3 games. I think he has great hands but kicking is an issue, speed doesn’t look exceptional and needs at least another 2-3 pre-seasons to get enough body mass to compete with the big boys. I’m quite happy waiting without exposing him to pressure that comes with Round 1 and the hawks.

1 Like

Was I watching different games. He was pretty good in the first game, then improved a lot in the second and had 17 possessions. Granted he didnt do a lot in the 3rd but was not on the ground a lot either. Id play him.

2 Likes

That’s crap. He was reasonable in the first, and very good in the second.

For anyone who doesn’t want him to play round 1, Who are our options then to play on rioli, Puopolo and Breust

2 Likes

Agree with WOB and munna1. Dea could always be an option too but I get the feeling Andy will be played whenever possible. I hope they give him a bit of license to run and carry against the Hawks too.

Yes, I’d like to know why McNeice didn’t get a run over the past month, especially given our round one opponents.

11 Likes

I’d play Colyer on Rioli with a license to run off him when we are in possession… if it gets turned over so be it.

I’d play Ambrose on Breust. Has the endurance to go with him and after a few crunching tackles… Breust may not feel like dancing with the ball so much.

I’d play Gleeson on Puopolo… has him covered in the air and is fairly agile once it hits the ground. Also likes to take the game on which will force Puopolo out of the forward 50 and chasing Marty up to the wings.

So that would be my solution to the three dorks.

2 Likes

Very good question… but surely you can’t bring him st8 in for Round 1 without seeing some exposed form?

Exactly. The Mackay game could’ve been good to see what he can do. Hopefully he plays on Friday night in the VFL so we can get a read on his progress.

Bring Green in. Put Tippa on Rioli. I like his run and disposal off half back anyway.

1 Like

Rioli can beat guys in the air who are bigger than him he’ll have a field day at full forward against tippa

5 Likes