#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Good shot. What do you want from me? Good shot. ■■■■■■’ rat anyway. His family’s all rats. He’ll grow up to be a rat.

Who the ■■■■ cares? I’ll dig the ■■■■■■’ hole. I don’t give a ■■■■. What is it, the first hole I dug? Not the first time I dug a hole. I’ll ■■■■■■’ dig a hole. Where are the shovels?

Go get your ■■■■■■■ shinebox.

2 Likes

???

Listen to hard tag to find out.

1 Like

Dear Ashley Browne,

Kindly go and eat an extra large bag of p*nises.

Regards…Blitz

Good luck in the Rising Star today Andy!

3 Likes

IT’S TIME

1 Like

He won’t win the rising star (the AFL have already determined and communicated this), but he’ll be the best player of this draft year. Future Brownlow medalist.

Hard to see McGrath win - from AFL website a two-horse race between defenders Burton and McGrath. They both played 20 games, but the Hawk had more disposals, metres gained, intercept possessions, score involvements, tackles, rebound 50s and inside 50s.

I still think McGrath will be the better player, and has had the better year.

So what, they played different roles. Burton as a 3rd tall defender/HBF and McGrath as a lockdown defender on the oppositions best small forward. Whom he blanketed and restricted to less than half their usual output all whilst chalking up ~20 touches the other way himself.
IMO for difficulty of role and subsequent impact he’s smashed Burton, and that’s not to say Burton hasn’t been good…

2 Likes

I’d argue McGrath has been the best lockdown small defender in the competition this year and should have been in the all-australian side.

When has Hibberd, for example, ever not played on the HBF.

1 Like

I reckon McGrath should win it, but Burton seems a lock.

Absolutely. By a street. An order of magnitude better than Neville Jetta who was the only lockdown small in the squad. But as a first year player they were never going to put him in the squad, let alone the side.

For a 1st year player, the role he’s played and how well he’s done it is nothing short of remarkable. Hugely underrated IMO.

1 Like

Perthaps if he had not been in red and black he might have been.

Burton was considered a potential pick 1 before breaking his leg. He’s going to be a very very good player for the Hawks.

What McGrath has done is the equivalant of if a first year KPD game in and beat the likes of Franklin, Daniher, Kennedy all in the same season.

Would it even be a question if McGrath was 15cm taller?

It is actually unheard of any young defender coming in and beating All Australians all season.

1 Like

Just to temper expectations, Daniher didn’t win it.

But geez I hope Andy does.

I know it doesn’t mean much this award, but when you’re player is i nthe running for it gee you want to win.

Andy is a winner, you can tell he has always won things in his life, sure he may not win today, but it would strive him to be even greater if he werent to win.

We haven’t really had a player in real contention since Dys, so it would be nice to win.

Going by afl site, he’s joint leader with SPP after 4 judges votes

Has he won yet?