#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Yeh nah

1 Like

I wasn’t a fan, then became a fan, then he left, now I’m not a fan again!

Amongst our best on Saturday. You really could not asked more for a first year player.

Congrats on a fantastic first year young man!

2 Likes

Maybe 5 years that would not be unreasonable. However, as EFC plan to draft aggressively this year (whatever that means?) maybe we hold off on signing McGrath long term and see what happens with landing several big fish.

That would be really stupid. You don’t hold off on signing your out and out guns to land a big fish. You do that to the more fringe players.

1 Like

You want to swap big fish?
What kind of fisherman are you??

“I see Essendon as my home for the rest of my career and I think we are building a really exciting list and hopefully we can go a long way in years to come.”

6 Likes

Where and when did he say this?

1 Like

Full article in the Stringer thread

Andrew McGrath says he would love for Essendon to acquire Jake Stringer this trade period

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
43 minutes ago
Subscriber only

RISING Star winner Andrew McGrath says the footy world would fear Essendon’s attacking prowess if the Bombers could land Western Bulldog Jake Stringer.

Stringer has declared he will not return to the Dogs under any circumstances, with Essendon battling Geelong for his services.

The Bombers clearly have drilled into his chequered past and are prepared to take the risk with his behaviour, given his extraordinary upside.

Stringer met Geelong leaders Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield on Thursday but Essendon would clearly pay him more for his services.

It is understood the Dogs will secure Fremantle half-forward Hayden Crozier in a trade as one of the replacements for matchwinner Stringer.

Essendon tyro McGrath told the Herald Sun from the Grand Final parade he would love to play in the same side as Stringer.

“It would be great, he is obviously a star talent and to add that into an already potent forward line, it would be very exciting for fans,” McGrath said.

“And I guess the AFL needs to watch out if we do get Jake. They are all so mobile down there, we have got a fleet of small guys who can run rings around anyone and then we have got Joe Daniher and if you add Jake Stringer to that mix it’s very dangerous.”

Cale Hooker missed this year’s elimination final but he will return to play alongside Daniher, Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Josh Begley and James Stewart.

Stringer is still assessing both clubs after kicking 122 goals in the past three years, adamant he does not know why he is to be traded.

But with the Herald Sun detailing damaging allegations over Grand Finalweekend about his issues, it will not help his trade currency.

The Bombers seem likely to try to acquire him while still keeping their No.11 draft pick, as they also attempt to restock their midfield.

McGrath will be a part of that midfield next year, but says he will ease his way into the onball unit from the wing.

“Yeah, it will be the wing maybe starting off with and hopefully a few rotations inside would be nice.”

His management is currently working through an extension to his first contract to take it past its current 2018 expiry.

That will take place over the summer with his manager Robbie D’Orazio, of Connors Sports, confident a deal can take place.

“He has just won the Rising Star, was voted the best first-year player by his peers, he is a very special talent and an impressive young man and I am sure we will be able to sit down early in the new years to look to extend his contract.”

McGrath says can’t see himself leaving Essendon any time soon.

“I see Essendon as my home for the rest of my career and I think we are building a really exciting list and hopefully we can go a long way in years to come.”

2 Likes

I love him.

1 Like

Me too, shattered he isn’t in the sprint tomorrow

1 Like

Who is in it for us? Would love to see Irish.

Answer my own question for those interested
Essendon: Kyle Langford

I fkn love Andrew McGrath

Just make him captain already!

2 Likes

Orrrraaaaaazziioooo

2017 NAB Rising Star

AFLPA Best First Year Player

Yesterdays Grand Final Parade

How many more gongs will he pick up next week at the Crichton Medal.

8 Likes

Has there ever been a player at the end of their first year that is a more obvious captain than this kid?

6 Likes

NO.

2 Likes