#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

■■■■) Reynolds.

Came to Essendon at the age of 16.

Won best first year player award.

Won Brownlow the next year. Youngest ever to do so.

Won two more after that.

Played and coached multiple Premiership sides.

I would like to see MCG do that.

11 Likes

Fair enough Alby, fair enough.

1 Like

I admit I was on the McClugage bandwagon but stoked with Andy McGrath the kid just oozes class and leadership.

Love him.

edit - Would put him the leadership group for next season.

2 Likes

We are blessed to have two kids in Zac Merret and McGrath as future captains.

3 Likes

Plus Daniher. We are building a very strong leadership group.

Can’t wait for him to get a bit more size and be playing in the guts. Few can go with his breakaway pace and agility.

Wen he moves into midfield, I think he’s a genuine inside player rather than a winger. His hands are super clean, and his handball the best at the club.

7 Likes

Replicating the four flags over his career would be ok, too

4 Likes

Id dispute that Ryder wouldn’t have made a difference. Tbell was pants. If Ryder gave us first use so our midfield want exposed defensively maybe things look a little different.

I can see him being a classier and more dynamic like dalhause or however you spell it. He and parish will be quite the pair and will complement hepp and Langford very well

McGrath will only last 6 games on the wing…

Until the club figures out to just out him on the ball and watch him dominate.

1 Like

That reads like barrett’s sliding doors.

1 Like

Super news with the signing of Saad. Now I can’t wait to see McGrath progress his career even further next year as he graduates into the midfield. I’m really looking forward to seeing the defensive pressence he brings along with his leg speed - two things we need more of. Just a little excited!

3 Likes

Your quickest and best hand-baller should be dishing out the ball 1st and playing wingman 2nd.
IMO

3 Likes

Sort out the Stringer trade and then lock McGrath for 4 or 5 years.

1 Like

Throw this kid the cheque book and tell him to write it out.

Jet.

1 Like

What are you guys doing stuffing around with his contract … from the HS

Andrew McGrath waiting for a better contract offer from Essendon

ADRIAN Dodoro’s final challenge after a masterful trade period for Essendon is to find the money for a contract ­extension for Andy McGrath.

McGrath, 19, won this year’s Rising Star in a superb season that he hopes will set him up for a move to the wing in 2018.

The classy half-back and Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage are the only players from last year’s top 10 picks not to re-sign.

Talks over McGrath’s extension were put off by mutual agreement mid-year after the Dons’ modest initial offer.

The cost of a likely two-year extension is the only haggling point for McGrath’s management and Dons list manager.

Andrew McGrath had a stellar first season at Essendon. Picture: AAP
The Dons have picks 48 and 67 in next month’s national draft. Jackson Merrett is likely to be delisted and Ben Howlett is hopeful of a one-year deal.

Last year’s overall No.1 pick McGrath told the Herald Sun in Grand Final week he wanted to end his career asbe a one-club player.

His manager Robbie D’Orazio, of Connors Sports, said then that talks to extend a deal past 2018 would soon heat up.

“He won the Rising Star, he was voted the best first-year player by the players, he played 20 of 22 home-and-away games and a final and he’s a special talent,’’ he said.

“So he’s a special talent and an impressive young man and I am sure we will be able to sit down early in the new year to look to extend his contract.”

Out of contract at Essendon are Josh Green, who kicked 17 goals in 17 games, and Shaun McKernan, who played three senior games.

1 Like

bit of a nothing article. youd be stupid if you were someone with mcgraths trajectory and signed midway through your first season at the club… hold off another year and youll be on another 100k easy

9 Likes

Equally the club would be stupid to offer a fortune after half a year into a 2-year contract.

I’m sure they’ll find the money, all the while remembering that he’s in Connors’s stable.

Interested in the Jackson Merrett and Howlett info

1 Like