#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Those clean hands, ability to fire off a bullet handball and burst of pace are going to be a treat once he becomes a full time midfielder around the stoppages.

Yeh i did notice this when watching his junior highlights videos but gee, his quick hands seemed to have even gone up a level on that the other day. It is a good sign for me because i always think the best midfielders have the quickest hands. Watson, ablett, mitchell etc.

Brighton grammar would be peaking. Their last number 1 pick has one of the most weaponised left pegs in the game. And their most recent has some better than above average hands.

Decided to move on from my Taranto infatuation. Bring on pidgeon.

He is a lock for Rd1 due to the story for the club

Just want to confirm that nobody here thinks this kid is doing anything other than exactly what his coaches are telling him? And doing it with aplomb. Rnd 1 on Cyril/Puopolo, lock him the fark in.

He’s doing what he did through his entire juinior career.

The eyecatching runs out of defence were what made it onto the highlight reels, but they were never the core of his game. His game was accumulation, lightning-fast flicking it around by hand, and shutdown defence on small forwards.

Which is pretty much exactly what we’re seeing.

So what you are saying is we drafted (another) back flanker with our first ever number one draft selection. You have to admit it is worth a bit if a giggle.

He will get selected on merit.

Wanganeen wasted two years, by not being a back pocket, before becoming a superstar.

(But he did win us THE Anzac Day match as a forward.)

He will get selected on merit.

He’s playing for Hawthorn?

*and you spelt Merrett wrong

Very droll, 'boot. :slight_smile:

Star.

Never in doubt.

everyone is midfield effing crazy on here. If he can lock down the best small fwd, then dominate setting up attacks and goals, who the fark cares about playing on the ball. In saying that he will be able to play there too without a problem, but perhaps we will add more value where they are playing him. who knows.

If a midfielder gets 40 without doing much defensively I dont find that as impressive as a backman, who has locked down a dangerous fwd and set up attacks, which result in goals. Not saying I dont value the mids of course I do, but they are only part of the team, and the empathizes on them compared to the rest of the team is to high.

Rant over thats my opinion anyway.

1 Like
everyone is midfield effing crazy on here. If he can lock down the best small fwd, then dominate setting up attacks and goals, who the fark cares about playing on the ball. In saying that he will be able to play there to without a problem, but perhaps we will add more value where they are playing him. who knows.

I think boot got himself crossthreaded.

everyone is midfield effing crazy on here. If he can lock down the best small fwd, then dominate setting up attacks and goals, who the fark cares about playing on the ball. In saying that he will be able to play there to without a problem, but perhaps we will add more value where they are playing him. who knows.

And therein lies the problem. He can’t. His rebound is great, but he has very little aerial ability, and is a quite mediocre one one one. Which is the reason he is up forward. My guess is his next step will be (tank permitting) wing/mid.

He is up fwd? didn’t lock down Ainsworth. Has no areil ability? are we even talking about the same player.

And therein lies the problem. He can’t. His rebound is great, but he has very little aerial ability, and is a quite mediocre one one one. Which is the reason he is up forward. My guess is his next step will be (tank permitting) wing/mid.

He is up fwd? didn’t lock down Ainsworth. Has no areil ability? are we even talking about the same player.

Sorry, I deleted the post. Too many tabs open. Posted in the wrong thread.

Our midfields been ■■■■■ since the early 00s, of course we’re midfield fkg crazy. Which flag winning side had a horrible midfield in the last decade?

Sorry, I deleted the post. Too many tabs open. Posted in the wrong thread.

no worries mate easy to do.

Our midfields been ■■■■■ since the early 00s, of course we're midfield fkg crazy. Which flag winning side had a horrible midfield in the last decade?

which flag winning side has had a horrible team in the last decade? It took them more then the mids to get them there. Its just the mids get all the recognition.

Our midfields been ■■■■■ since the early 00s, of course we're midfield fkg crazy. Which flag winning side had a horrible midfield in the last decade?

which flag winning side has had a horrible team in the last decade? It took them more then the mids to get them there. Its just the mids get all the recognition.

How does the ball get into the forward line? through the midfield.
How do you stop the ball bombarding into our defenders? through the midfield. It is the most important collective position on the field. Win centre clearances and get it forward is the most efficient way to score. Class midfielders are capable of impacting the scoreboard.

If you have a ■■■■ midfield forwards never get a chance. Defenders are over encumbered. and its just ■■■■ viewing.

I think people are excited to see McGrath go through the midfield as his best was 44 possessions and 19 tackles at TAC Cup level, on top of that he also had a 38 poss 36, 32, 32, 29, 29 and a 27 poss game, he only played 9 games.
Midfield is where he belongs.

Not really… check out WCE dominant sides…or even Geelong in their early dominant days

WCE
KPF - Lynch, Hansen, Hunter (swingman)
KPD - Glass (genuine star), Hunter

GEEL
KPF - Mooney, NAblett
KPD - Scarlett (genuine star), Milburn (not great towards the end), Harley (good captain, not the greatest defender)

But they did have one thing in common… very dominant midfields.