#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Not like Zerrett at all. Much more of a run an carry player. Zerrett more of a distributor.

Loving that leap. Can give up 15cm and will make the spoil if he gets a run at it.

McGraths hands in close are better than Zach already, the only player recently to compare with is Sam Mitchell. Zach is way better by foot but McGrath is freakishly quick in disposing of the ball one touch.

1 Like

Am I allowed any 'I told you soā€™s?

1 Like

11.40 remaining in the 1st is the time stamp for that amazing defensive play.

4 Likes

i would have said 9 out of 10 people on this board were after Clug. myself included.

just imagine now if we had let GWS get him at pick 2. they were gunning hard for him.

4 Likes

Yeah go on. Knock yourself out.

I think so.

I think he has an extra level in him above Zach, and I donā€™t mean that in any way as a knock on Zach.

Will be a deadly combo for many years.

2 Likes

Yes, he will.

There where quiet a few of us on here who wanted MCG at pick 1. Clug did play pretty well against the Saints in what I sore of it yesterday, will also be a gun but its going to take more time.

1 Like

It was 69%, check with Albert Thurgood

Stop using data.
Clearly 99 out of a 100 Blitzers always wanted McGrath - just ask them.

(And a shoutout to the handful who are brave / crazy enough to admit they were ever wrong about anything - without going to the I Was Wrong thread that no one reads)

The last goal where Mcgrath breaks the lines is a splitting image of Ablett Jr. Last year he did not have the endurance to show much of his line breaking speed. This year he is way fitter and his confidence is high. His game will translate from under 18s. Clearance winner, line breaker, many one-twos, great leap, leadership and changing the direction of the play.

2 Likes

Would be very surprised if he surpasses Zerrett!

Still going to be a very good player.

2 Likes

My Godson is best mates and ex-Team mates with Andy.

He has had a Manager since he was 16. His career is mapped out before him. I was relieved that we got him and Shawy was highly influentialā€¦HIGHLY.

He WILL be Captain one day.

He WILL Captain us to a Flag.

He WILL win a Brownlow.

:wink:

15 Likes

No pressure on him then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Butā€¦do you get invited to Sunday brunch at the McGraths???

There was a thread set up to be a time capsule to get peopleā€™s opinions before the draft. Unfortunately, the poll results are no longer there, and I am not going to do a manual count, but there is a comment that 65% voted for MCC.

It is in this thread:

Nope, none. No pressure on the godson whatsoever.

1 Like

lol just checked that thread. Was I the only one who wanted him.

"Mc Grath, if it where my choice but not by much, they go about it in totally different ways, are different players, splitting the two is very difficult. His aggressive and daring game style suits the modern game, he beets his man AND creates a lot of play himself. I see him as the more flexible player, and a great leader.

Mclug is silky, a little cleaner with the ball, but not as hard at it. He is an outside mid who reads the game extremely well, and also fills a need. Yes, I see his contested possession count. But the stats donā€™t tell the full story. He gets his contested possessions by reading the ball when it spills from the pack, he gets in close enough for it to count as a contested pos, but doesnā€™t win the hard ball very often. Mainly because he doesnā€™t have to at u18 level. He is not an in and under type, but thats not to say he wont be.

If the recruiters pick Mclug I will be more then happy. I just donā€™t see one as a clear fave over the other."

Pretty good call here by
SplitRound Nov '16
McGrath will almost certainly be the best draftee next year as a physically ready half back, and Iā€™d back him in for the rising star full Callum Mills style. Just putting that here as prediction, donā€™t think it should make even the slightest difference to who we pick.

1 Like

You werenā€™t the only one.

I watched him and Clug a lot in their draft year and I thought McGrath was obvious.

2 Likes

I remember one of the big positives for McGrath being his ability to change the direction of play. Watch for it, because he did it a number of times on Friday. He gets the ball then darts 90 degrees from where everyone was running. Shifts the direction of play and cuts through the opposition structures. Very damaging.

7 Likes