#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

boo whoo

2 Likes

Thatā€™s weird. If I had to point to what is currently our greatest weakness, itā€™s transition out of the backline.

See you in Round 21 Andrew

We only had him for such a small moment in time.
He will be missed by all.

Your right probably too much credit, that, whilst a better part of our game sucks now too.

EFA.

Good to see pigeon back this week.

6 clearances is very promising.

4 Likes

quietly great game from MCG

Loved his second half, great pressure and disposal in the contests.

1 Like

Like that he had far more kicks than handballs

1 Like

That goal was all class

Happy Birthday Pigeon.
Hope you have a cracking game.

3 Likes

The more I see this kid play, the more I am convinced that his best position is as a back pocket (ala Wanganeen).
His ability to quickly harass opponents and his quick hands are ideal for a role deep in defence and for giving off to Saad/McKenna runners.

He just hasnā€™t the size, nor the damaging penetrative kicking skills of very good mid-fielders.

Disagree, his ability to change direction at pace are what will make him an elite midfielder. Had a very good contested possession rate as a junior in the midfield as well.

Everyone is so quick to make judgements, he just needs time.

5 Likes

With Archie on this one.

McGraths change of direction is exactly what you need to be a gun mid along with his great hands and decision making.

He will make it, itā€™s just a matter of when.

What % of time would he be playing mid?

He has got a good case of the second year blues. Just needs time to figure out how to impact in the midfield more. Shown some good signs at times.

2 Likes

i think its moreso adjusting to a new role than second year blues, its just so happened that his role has been changed in his second year. Doesnt seem down on confidence or workrate, just learning a new role.

1 Like

Yeah this ā€˜second year bluesā€™ comment is wrong IMO. That comes from having very high expectations on the kid after he did almost everything he could have done in his first AFL season - full season, rising star award, etc.

Heā€™s got a second year frame with a second year engine and I think heā€™s shown some promising signs this year. Weā€™ve definitely seen a more attacking side of him this year. Last year he predominantly beat his man and then handballed with a few flashes of brilliance here and there. Heā€™s definitely improved on that Iā€™m a new role.

1 Like

A lot of our young talented guys seem to of had second year blues over the years, so doesn;t really suprise me. I even remember monfries was going to be the next big thing after year 1.