#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

how goods this kid been the last 2 weeks?

9 Likes

Yeah I agree, Iā€™ve been critical of him in the past for his first instinct to be defensive. But the last two weeks heā€™s really taken the game on, Which I really like. Heā€™s one positive to take out of the game.

1 Like

Thought McGrath was excellent today, used the footy well and didnā€™t panic.

1 Like

Fantastic game. Still handpass first is his default option, but heā€™s learning to trust his kick more. Lovely goal in the last as well, good instinct around goal. We donā€™t see it enough because he is more a back/mid than a mid/fwdā€¦

1 Like

I got no issue with him being handpass happy to be honest, because his handpasses so often result in getting the ball out of a hotly contested area to a man in more space. If you just kick it from those situations you will be as effective as David Myers is.

3 Likes

Great today. Kicking it more now

Needs to spend the summer locked in the weights room, pushed of the ball to easy. Yes, I also do agree with all the positives mentioned above.

if youā€™re not working out, youā€™re eating.
if youā€™re not eating, youā€™re sleeping.
if youā€™re not sleeping its probably because youā€™re wondering why you got locked in a weights room.

2 Likes

Great to see him using that pace more often. Thought he worked his guts out today.

2 Likes

Someone should just handcuff him to Devon over the preseason

1 Like

5 bounces on the weekend only second to Saad.

Enjoying the way that he is taking off as soon as he gets the ball now and thinking his way through situations.

Needs to show a little more composure with his hands but is tracking very well for a second year player.

4 Likes

Most likely player on our list to win a Brownlow. If his chains result in more goals and his disposal tightens up he could be our best player by the end of next year.

His kicking will be fine, the bones are already there, once he becomes properly comfortable at the level heā€™ll learn to slow and steady a bit before he kicks and tidy up most of those stray ones.

Stats! 76% disposal efficiency, yet kicks seems to miss their intended target on a few occasions. Getting more depth on his kicking will help elevate his game. The next gen are tracking nicely though.

This kids a gun

2 Likes

Sweet second half. Sidestepping through heavy traffic.

3 Likes

I was a little disappointed with his first half. Second half he was one of our best. Shows how good he is and that he has a really good head on his shoulders to be able to turn it around against good opposition

4 Likes

Was a bit next level this game I reckon. It was a bit in bits and pieces but I can see once the whole thing falls into place that this boy has elite level awareness.
Knows what to do and when to do it.

1 Like

Stood up in the second half big time.

Covered the most distance out of every player tonight with 15.8km, Brown next best with 15.2km. Apparently was the most covered by a non Heppell Essendon player this year

3 Likes