Former #1 Pig Hibberd

Forgot Gumbleton for Fantasia, makes it look a little more respectable.

Similar to the Doggies essentially picking up Caleb Daniel for Liam Jones!
Gumby obviously way more talented but cooked.

Malthouse on SEN this morning, talking about how some player managers have far too much influence on their clients day to day, with some players consulting them on what they should do regarding their day to day football decisions. He referred to some of them as "skunks" which you have to be careful with, because if the coach can get one player to go against his manager's advice there may be another 6 on his books in your team who they can turn against you.

Sounds a lot like the Connors scenario, and makes me think of JOM in particular, jacking up on Bluey at GC and playing games with us to get to Hawthorn. I would think with all the problems we’ve had with him, we must have had a fair bit of conflict with him and he won’t stop paying out on us any time soon.

I was listening to an English Premier league podcast with a couple of retired players. They were talking about as a player they would hang on every word of their club manager. Anything that their club manager told them to do, they did without thinking twice as they feared and respected their club manager.

They made mention of the new wave of young players, is the complete opposite. They talked about players at the moment; a club manager would tell them to do something ie. Play in a certain position, rest for a certain game, improve on a specific skill, etc. the players now check with their own agent first to see if it’s best for their career, before implementing the advice from the club.

AFL player managers are now Career agents. It’s all about the player’s ‘brand’, and the bottom line. It’s going to be far more challenging for coaches to teach players, as there will be a player agent filter between coach and player IMO. Players will eventually stop thinking about what’s best for their team, but what’s best for their ‘brand’. Or they’ll simply not think at all, and let their agent decide their career pathway for them.

Forgot Gumbleton for Fantasia, makes it look a little more respectable.

Sheeds hasn’t stopped giving us gems yet…

Some Player managers are increasingly going the same way as journo’s. They aeem to think the job is actually about being a celebrity, a “name” in the actual game.

Weird that Malthouse would say something like that, given how many people on here insist that player managers are merely humble employees of their clients and have no influence at all. Mind you Malthouse has been out of the game for a couple of years, so it’s probably changed a lot.

Yeah Take the 26 it seems about right.

There is swings and round abouts on these deals. Some trades you win and some trades you lose.

We lost on Ryder
We won on Carlisle and Melksham
We break about even (maybe lose a little) on Hibberd. Lets not quibble.

We won Crameri because Merrett is proven
Ryder is yet to be decided as Langford is developing
Lovett we won getting Carlisle but now it’s yet to be decided as Francis is developing
Melksham is yet to be decided as Redman is developing
Jenkins we lost big time.

Happy to sit back and wait a couple of years while Francis, Langford and Redman develop.

I understand what you are saying but I was more just looking at the trade at the time without factoring in who we ended up getting with the traded in pick.

Some Player managers are increasingly going the same way as journo's. They aeem to think the job is actually about being a celebrity, a "name" in the actual game.

When Players started having Managers (Player Agents) they were usually accountants, finance types who were there to look after the financials interests and to make sure that income was not ■■■■■■ away. Then the AFL started regulating who could be Player Agents and the big Management groups got involved and employed ex-Players, who then stared their own Management services. My Accountant was the Manager of some Champion AFL players and he did well for them investing in property mostly, but when he had to get “qualifications” from the AFL; he said it became more about AFL and clubs than player welfare.

Some Player managers are increasingly going the same way as journo's. They aeem to think the job is actually about being a celebrity, a "name" in the actual game.

When Players started having Managers (Player Agents) they were usually accountants, finance types who were there to look after the financials interests and to make sure that income was not ■■■■■■ away. Then the AFL started regulating who could be Player Agents and the big Management groups got involved and employed ex-Players, who then stared their own Management services. My Accountant was the Manager of some Champion AFL players and he did well for them investing in property mostly, but when he had to get “qualifications” from the AFL; he said it became more about AFL and clubs than player welfare.

From what I have heard it is not hard to get the “qualifications”. You basically just have to know and understand the AFL rules. Mind you, seeing as how the rules seem to be so open to interpretation, maybe that is a difficult thing after all.

We could throw in some snake knives to keep Connors happy 5th round pick or one of the 2 Blitz Ricky's ought to do it

Not sure what sort of snake knives you mean, but here on the farm we use these to keep the snakes happy. I am sure that if I started waving this at Connors he would be happy to do what ever we wanted.

Good point.
Peter Jess, who is an accountant and who has his office near Windy Hill (Fletcher St), was one of the earlier ones wasn’t he?

OUT Jenkins Ryder Crameri Gumbleton Carlisle Hibberd

IN
J Merrett
Langford
Z Merrett
Fantasia
Francis

I know which list looks better at this stage and it’s not the in list.

You are kidding right?

Crameri has done barely anything at the Bullies (not including this year of course), their own fans say he is not all that great (the ones at my work). He is an okay player not some superstar. Jenkins is being severely overrated on this website, he does sweet f all most of the time. Without excellent delivery on a platter they guy cannot do anything. Gumbleton? really?
Hibberd is okay but he is hardly a world beater.

Our IN list has way more potential than the out list ever has apart from Ryder and Carlol (and Ryder is so freaking inconsistent it is not funny).

26 is fair and reasonable. We need to start repairing our reputation as being difficult to deal with and by letting this happen, which in the eyes of most is a fair trade, it would be a good start

Why do we have to repair a reputation that is actually someone else’s fabrication? Take 26, but ■■■■ bending over just because others perpetuate a myth.

“forced to deny rumours”
What is it about Essendon players - Carlisle and Hibberd both announce their future clubs on trade radio - Ryder announces through the media he is leaving Essendon the week before a finals match.

The common denominator is not that they are ess players, it’s their manager.

Connors doesn’t manage Carlisle

OUT Jenkins Ryder Crameri Gumbleton Carlisle Hibberd

IN
J Merrett
Langford
Z Merrett
Fantasia
Francis

I know which list looks better at this stage and it’s not the in list.

You are kidding right?

Crameri has done barely anything at the Bullies (not including this year of course), their own fans say he is not all that great (the ones at my work). He is an okay player not some superstar. Jenkins is being severely overrated on this website, he does sweet f all most of the time. Without excellent delivery on a platter they guy cannot do anything. Gumbleton? really?
Hibberd is okay but he is hardly a world beater.

Our IN list has way more potential than the out list ever has apart from Ryder and Carlol (and Ryder is so freaking inconsistent it is not funny).

He kicked more goals in 2014 then he ever kicked in a season with us. In 2015 he wasn’t far off the same mark despite missing games with injury.
I’d say he’s improved since he left us. I agree he’s not a star but it’s rubbish to say he’s done barely anything.

Leunberger as a free agent, and Bird for practically nothing as part of the Carlisle trade also should be factored in.

What is it about Essendon players - Carlisle and Hibberd both announce their future clubs on trade radio - Ryder announces through the media he is leaving Essendon the week before a finals match.

The common denominator is not that they are ess players, it’s their manager.

Connors doesn’t manage Carlisle

My mistake. Who’s his manager?

Listened to the Trade Radio launch podcast to hear Hibbo. What a ■■■■■■■ flog Connors is, talking over people, generally having no respect for the launch at all. If I was Hutchy I would have gone off my brain after that.

Managers who go for the name generally end up failing at some point. Eventually a player will have enough of his crap, he will try and screw the player for extra fees and it will end up like Pickering, Nixon or any of the agents now fading away to a coke habit.

As a club, being carful which player managers you deal with through the draft should be a factor in selection.

I wouldn’t mind a player swap for Hibbo.

Listened to the Trade Radio launch podcast to hear Hibbo. What a ■■■■■■■ flog Connors is, talking over people, generally having no respect for the launch at all. If I was Hutchy I would have gone off my brain after that.
That something you rarely see, Hutchy and brain in the one sentence.

“Hutchy” is as dodgy as any of them.