#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

Dempsey was one who was always better at afl level than vfl level

1 Like

Tippa is an example, but Dill is right, there arenā€™t many, especially if Jay Neagle was your go-to.

1 Like

Maybe there arenā€™t many cause theyā€™re all playing AFL?

I reckon Walla might go alright if he was to play VFL this weekend. His improvement has been mainly due to improved physical conditioning in my opinion.

Did Jay Neagle really average less than 1.5 goals/game at VFL level? I donā€™t think so.

2 Likes

It wouldnā€™t surprise me. Forgotten how ā€œgoodā€ the Bendigo VFL sides were prior to us taking over? I reckon there was a year we averaged about 2 goals and the OG messiah kicked a few of them.

Is Tippa an example or has he just gotten better since he was drafted? He hasnā€™t payed a single VFL game since then to compare.

1 Like

9 Likes

Fixed

Yes you do. Itā€™s very fkn simple.

BRING.
HIM.
IN.

IN,
BRING
HIM

Slow burn will pay off

Simon Conway April 21, 2017 12:50 PM

Essendon List and Recruiting Manager Adrian Dodoro isnā€™t surprised Aaron Francis has taken a little longer than fellow first round pick Darcy Parish to find his feet at AFL level.

The Bombers selected the pair with their first two picks (number five and six overall) in the 2015 National Draft.

While Parish quickly became a mainstay of the Essendon midfield and is averaging 22 possessions per game this season, Francis has struggled to find continuity.

ā€œThere was some commentary about Paddy McCartin in the last couple of days and it just made me think of Aaron,ā€ Dodoro told Bomber Radio.

ā€œThese guys who are a little bit bigger do take a bit of extra time.

ā€œWhen we drafted Aaron we knew that he was going to maybe be a bit of a slow burn.

ā€œHe had an interrupted back end of his top age year with some groin issues.

ā€œWhen we drafted him everyone was aware that we had to take it slowly with him in his first pre-season.

ā€œOur fitness team did a magnificent job in getting him up last year. This year is virtually his first year and heā€™s been building slowly each week.

ā€œI think heā€™s knocking on the door of senior selection and weā€™re going to have a very exciting player for many years to come.ā€

Francis began his 2017 campaign in the VFL against Sandringham.

He picked up 15 possessions, took six marks and laid nine tackles.

In the second half the 19 year old was moved into the middle of the ground and was one of the key figures in the Bombers comeback.

ā€œI think youā€™ve got to play a bit of midfield,ā€ Dodoro said.

ā€œI think the way the game is played, you have to have players that can play midfield/back and midfield/forward.

ā€œThere has been an emphasis on [Kyle] Langford, [Jayden] Laverde and Francis being able to do that.

ā€œBut heā€™ll [Francis] need to get that engine built up over the next couple of years.

ā€œI still see him as a power forward or a third defender, but there is no reason why when he gets to 23 or 24 that he couldnā€™t impact through the midfield.ā€

2 Likes

Pure coincidence that article gets a run the day before selection.

OR IS IT?!?

1 Like

HING
IM
BRIM

6 Likes

Feel the burn.

Based on that article, I reckon heā€™s as good as in. Might be hard for him to back up with five days between Collingwood and Melbourne games, so they may be thinking Melbourne is a better time. Especially considering the likelihood of needing to rest players for the Melbourne game. But the timing of that article suggests heā€™s in.

My reading of the article is to explain to everybody why they are taking their time and not to expect too much too soon.

5 Likes

That article is just a rehash of the dodoro bomber radio interview.
Every week they rehash the interview into 3 or 4 stories for the website.
All it shows is the website doesnā€™t have the resources to create a lot of new material, so a lot of re-using goes on.

6 Likes

9 tackles, PHOAAARRRR.

Anyone seen a clan of redheads fly over from adelaide?

2 Likes

I suspect heā€™d be on a pretty long range plan, given his fitness & runningā€™s been the main issue.
Might not be anything to do with how many kicks and marks he has on a given weekend in the VFL.