#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

When was this?

1 Like

If Francis comes good:

Baguley Ambrose Saad
Gleeson Francis McKenna

Hartley is a good defense but he doesnā€™t give you the rebound that Francis will.

Longer term we will need a replacement for Bags, McNeice and Redman are being groomed as potentials.

He was on the injury list for a substantial period

1 Like

Heā€™s sampled just about every position on the ground in his first two seasons on an AFL list, but for now, the backline is home for Aaron Francis.

The number six draft pick was shifted to defence in the VFL three weeks ago.

He produced his best game in that role last week, finishing with 22 disposals and eight marks against the Northern Blues.

Francis has been used mostly in attack throughout his five senior games, but Performance Coach Mark Harvey said the 19-year old approached John Worsfold recently about shifting to the backline.

ā€œHe went and had a chat with the senior coach and probably was thinking thatā€™s where he needed to go,ā€ Harvey told Bomber Radio.

ā€œThatā€™s how he was recruited effectively in the under 18 system.

ā€œHeā€™s played there the last couple of weeks and heā€™s starting to ramp up his ground coverage.

ā€œFundamentally he reads the game quite well and his offence can be good if we can get his kicking more decisive.ā€

Essendonā€™s backline in the senior team has been unchanged in the last five weeks.

But Harvey said Francis could contend for selection if his performances continue and expects him to settle as a defender down the track.

ā€œHe was in good form last week and there is no reason why he canā€™t push for senior selection in the coming weeks,ā€ Harvey said.

ā€œHis GPS results are starting to get to the required level, heā€™s tough, heā€™s uncompromising.

ā€œI would expect heā€™ll be in the team at some stage in the next six weeks.ā€

2 Likes

Might be missing some one there bud

And Francis is not going to play the role Hartley does either

2 Likes

Supposedly about a third of the way into the season, when he was down on confidence and marking poorly.
Although I was quite critical of our forwards set up in the Ressies I saw last year - little structure or system apparent, and this wouldnā€™t have helped. Having a more defined role is a pretty common way for players struggling with confidence to regain it.
Kudos to him for recognising it.
I donā€™t think requesting to be played back reflects a permanent preference.

1 Like

:smiley: I have too

Might be able to sneak #18 into that six

Iā€™m happy to agree with you actually on that one - my main point was in defending Gleeson who I rate highly. Certainly Francis has not gone backwards during his time on the list - so poor choice of words there and I do still hold optimism for him.

1 Like

Anyone know where I can see footage of his goal on Anzac day?

Psoars the story goesā€¦

Just look at the highlights on the club site from that game

1 Like

Just saw it for the first time (was overseas). Thanks mate :smile:

1 Like

Was Francis even at the club today watching the match or doing rehab work? Is he on some sort of leave from the club that hasnā€™t been announced?

RIP

Heā€™s training at the farm up state.

I donā€™t think he was around.

1 Like

Missing in action

Too worried that a supporter might catch him laughing while Essendon was losing.

7 Likes

@theDJR, @Deckham :grinning:

2 Likes

woops, wrong thread