#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

What the club did has worked

Do you also read the Green Left Weekly?

Ace you seem to be the SA inside man. Thoughts on what happens with him if he has a cracking year next year? Does he still try to get home?

He didn’t try to get home this year. My understanding is he was a little homesick and depressed as things weren’t going his way or progressing as quick as he hoped and that the club actually put forward to him the idea of coming back to SA. Aaron and his manager then had a little look to see what was on offer but I believe he never enthusiastically chased a trade and was more than happy to stay. The way things are these days if he wanted to come home he would of and his managers statements reflect his thoughts on it

17 Likes

Come on Aceman. You’re buying the spin. His manager said, “He would prefer to go home”. Word for word. We may have been pushing him out the door too, but the reality for him is that there was little interest from either Adelaide club. He wanted to go home.

1 Like

How I wish I was 29…

1 Like

He was retired at 27, so not really…

would of.

not sure what you’re saying. Those 2 words shouldn’t be put together

3 Likes

See a few posts earlier.

2 Likes

A bloke I went to school with “retired” at about that age, they “retired” (cut) him because he kept being shown up for looking slow as treacle

In reality he was the quickest he’d ever been, knocked 0.1 off his 20m sprint that off season which is huge. Sometimes looking slow and being slow aren’t the same.

I can only go on face value from his family and friends and Aaron was taken by surprise and it was the club that made the initial move. He had already teed up his brother to come and live and live with him in Melbourne and who had started looking for work over there. Doesn’t sound like a guy who was eager to come home to me. If he had seriously wanted to get home he would of

10 Likes

Is his brother still coming over? And do you know if francis is happy?

AFAIK his brother is still coming over, not sure of timing or how long for. My understanding he is happy and excited about the coming season for both himself and the team

11 Likes

Oh, agreed, definitely.

And coaching has come a long way. It’d be rare that they coached in such a way as to reduce individuals explosiveness these days. Now there’s individual programs etc. Which didn’t really exist much before Quinn brought it to Essendon.

He was probably a slow decision maker.

Instinct is probably the most difficult thing to teach in AFL.

Sam Mitchell is probably one of the fastest players of the last ten years.

I accept and respect that you’re in the know but his manager went on air saying they wanted a trade but appreciated it may not happen. If it was an “EFC approached him for a trade” situation we’d barely hear about it like with Hooker (that’s not public knowledge) or other players who I’ve heard about who you never hear about it with.

I fully accept your claim that it wasn’t completely one way from Aaron but there’s no chance it was completely one way from EFC (or even close to it) either.

1 Like

A lot of stuff gets said publicly that isn’t worth a pinch of ■■■■, especially during trade week. So I wouldn’t be reading too much into that.

Pretty much every respected poster in the know on this site has said Francis didn’t really want to leave

5 Likes

Yeah like ‘i want to go home to family’, opps adelaide’s good enough

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/aaron-francis-asks-essendon-to-trade-him-home-to-south-australia/news-story/28930384ca97307fbb4f7dd47906c514

from the article, direct quotes from his manager.

Francis attended Thursday night’s best-and-fairest — won by Joe Daniher — and then flew home to Adelaide.

“He would prefer to return home,” Francis’s manager, Michael Doughty from TLA, said on Friday.

Doughty said Francis has asked Essendon for a trade, but conceded it appeared “unlikely”.

Yet, we are sposed to believe now these comments are bullshit, and that he is manager was talking out of his backside. I appreciate what Aceman is saying and it is always good to get some personal insights, but it’s revisionism rubbish to suggest that “he really didn’t want to leave”

Anyhow he is is still here, and whilst he is a Bomber he’ll have my support and I hope he makes it. And I hope the club will be flogging the bejesus out of his this preseason, to give him every chance of making it.

1 Like