#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Begley will need solid time in 2’s as a midfielder before getting opportunity. Same goes for LAV.

We cut all of Hocking, Bird & Howlett so as to ensure all our developing mids get that midfield time.

Langford will get first shot at Watson’s spot.

Myers is going to be on the outer IMO and rightly so. Stringer to take his midfield spot.

But this is the Francis thread

Can he do enough over preseason to push out Ambrose or Gleeson? Big ask.

1 Like

I agree with you on Myers but I just cant see them dropping him. Parish will be stepping up and playing a far bigger role and Langford has been groomed for a role and in my opinion will be cementing a spot next year. I think he’s a talent.

Smith wouldn’t have signed on with us unless he was promised considerable opportunities to play in midfield. Whether that’s directly in the guts or more of an outside role I’m not sure yet. Based on his jnr career I suspect he will want an inside role.

Stringer for mine will definitely play significant minutes as a midfielder. I doubt they get a damaging player like Stringer on the books just to play him as a forward alone. His power and speed will make our midfield significantly better and outside any injuries he will definitely be there.

the reality is we have a very deep list now with players just entering their prime years. Opportunities are certainly there to take but I think its a bit much to ask of Begley just yet as he has played little as midfield up to this stage and Woosha appears to be the type of coach that rewards players for hard work and consistency.

It’s not Ambrose or Gleeson Francis will push out if Francis comes up - it’s Hartley.

3 Likes

I don’t think Francis has ever been tasked with playing a key stopping role on oppositions best forward at juniors or VFL. He has always played loosely/3rd tall.

Hartley is likely going to stay in IMO because that’s what he does. Also is taller to handle the 200cm fwds come up against.

Will be interesting to see how the season unfolds and where Francis can fit in. I still think he will spend much of it in 2’s awaiting opportunity.

If it is Hartleys spot going to need to hone his craft playing accountable footy on the oppositions reserves teams best fwd’s first.

1 Like

I agree with BWAS. AMbrose is too good at locking down 90% of the key forwards, i don’t think francis is there or will be for at least a few years. I think hartley will have to give way and you’ll have hurley and franga roaming the defensive area sweeping up. plus with their good disposal should get the ball back into a forward line quick smart.

Myers will play.
He’ll be in the team for his flexibility to play HB, HF and midfield. I don’t think he’ll play any one position, definitely not an important position, but he’ll be there.

When has Myers played HF?

1 Like

He is often rotated to a half forward flank. Never for long periods of time. But he does rotate between there, midfield and HB during a match

Fair enough, only ever seen him between centre, wing and HB :slight_smile:

He has no flexibility and can’t even play his designated midfield position effectively.

Goddard is the one who has ability to play multiple roles.

6 Likes

Myers has played those roles before just not successfully.

He’s as one dimensional as anyone on the list.

6 Likes

That’s not what the coaches believe.

The coaches know our midfield was poor this year

Did not win enough ball. Did not put enough pressure on. Did not use it well enough.

Myers one the key culprits.

Forward line is sorted. The midfield is the next part of our team to be fixed.

Parish is ready for inside mid role. We’ve been developing Langford, Mutch and others, plus brought in Stringer & Smith to play midfield. Myers days are numbered IMO.

2 Likes

Has Francis actually slimmed down or is this just a rehash of “Aaron has slimmed down” 2017 preseason hype thread?

Because the comments are almost identical.

seems slimer through the lower half of his body, judging on the one preseason photo of him. LID OFF.

Justin Crow (fitness boss) did say that frang has dropped some weight

Best 22 spots open

• Kelly, Watson
  • no gauranteed - Myers, Colyer, Green (inj), Hartley, Gleeson, Baguley
    Ins Saad, Smith, Stringer

B: Baguley Ambrose ***
HB:Saad Hurley McKenna
C: McGrath Parish Zaharakis
HF: Stewart Daniher Fantasia
F: Tippingwuti Hooker ****
R: Bellchambers Heppell Zerrett
Int: Stringer, Smith **** ****

Only bring Baguley up because of his age.
Forwardline looks pretty settled.
Saad Essentially replaces Kelly
And I would Imagine Parish & Heppell gets more midfield minutes as the Jobe repalcement But Jobes actual replacement becomes a bench slot.

Saad replaces Kelly, instead of delightful kicks off HB we’ll have him running and breaking lines.

Stringer/Smith replaces Jobeywan.

Pretty good outcome.

Looks ready!

1 Like

Do you genuinely believe Gleeson isn’t an absolute lock for best 22?

8 Likes