#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Aaron drink this, and it will take you back to 1984 when you can just have a shitload of talent without being super fit.

3 Likes

Yeah i had some injected into a shoulder bursa a few years ago and recently re-aggravated it mucking around on gymnastic rings.

Probably need a topup.

I had really high hopes for Francis and it has been disappointing that he didnā€™t walk straight in and star but Iā€™m not giving up just yet.

I would have liked more games, for sure, but at the same time he has shown enough glimpses to suggest he has enough talent to make it.

I donā€™t believe this year is a ā€˜make or breakā€™ year but we are inching closer to that point. I would hope that by the end of this year he is either in the best 25 or putting together a string of BOGā€™s for VFLā€¦ or at least putting in dominating patches on a regular basis.

If he still canā€™t get near it at the end of the year then you start to wonder but Iā€™d still give him another year or two to sort it out.

4 Likes

Only third year in the system. Certainly a set back with the hip but heā€™s got time on his side. I expect heā€™ll get between 5-10 games this year and really show something in 2019

ā€œshowing somethingā€ would be a massive improvement on what heā€™s shown so far.

1 Like

I canā€™t agree with this. He has shown plenty, but only in glimpses, not sustained within a game, or in a sequence of games. But he has shown plenty, in glimpses, that says he has enough ability.
Whether his problem be fitness, or mental or both, he has shown he has the talent. If youā€™re only 20, you can get better fitness wise or mentally, but you canā€™t find the the talent if you havenā€™t got it.

1 Like

A goal from 50 on Anzac Day?

2 Likes

Poor ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

There is probably nothing worse ever than having Physio work on psoas muscle. I cringe thinking about it.

Can see why he restricted with running now.

You suppose wrongly.

Iā€™m more concerned that the club is hoping an injection will fix things.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of Pom poms in this thread.

1 Like

whoā€™s hoping?

Like i keep saying, people expect our recruits to be guns in the first to 4th year purely because we have drafted so well and had players play straight away and are very good. Because weā€™re used to that then we always expect it all the time and we write players off if they havnt done anything in that time. Thats blitz for ya

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦knowing that he will be a star for someone else.ā€

Firmly disagree.

I donā€™t know he will be a star for someone else. I doubt it anyway.

Do people see an emerging pattern here with Francis?

His body wonā€™t allow him to train at the high levels required to develop the fitness he needs to play seniors. He pushes himself too hard & breaks down with a soft tissue injury or similar.

He doesnā€™t have the hard earned fitness that others have, his talent had previously allowed him to work less hard on the tack and still have great success playing against the other boys.

But extreme fitness is absolutely essential to become an AFL player. Talent will open he door, but hard work will get you into the team & keep you there. Without this sweat equity, he is lacking and without a significant period of training & progressing his fitness levels head down bum up, I canā€™t see him being a league footballer.

He is young enough though and I hope he works his butt off to make it happen. But unless he can show me the fitness required for sustained 3 & 4 the efforts the vastly less talented but supremely fit Ambrose will keep his spot.

Would it be different at another club? Not the AFL - Perhaps in a suburban or country club where fitness isnā€™t as important.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have a quiet word to him and let him know that you demand greater effort and for him to demonstrate sustained fitness to you.

2 Likes

I probably shouldnā€™t be laughing as much as I am at this.

Thanks Hambo!

I just went through The Ginger Garden in Singapore, and he wasnā€™t there. SAD.

1 Like

I certainly expect a top 5 pick to make a impact in the first few years. You donā€™t draft project players at 5

8 Likes

Thatā€™s ok then. He was pick 6 :wink:

2 Likes