Davies
S. Harvey
Laycock
Bradley
Gumbleton
Kavanagh
Francis

1 Like

A lot of work ahead of him to reach Kepler Bradley levels.

3 Likes

Ted Richards.
Hang on - he went on to win flags.

Was he a first round?

Donā€™t worry there were a few others I thought of including but didnā€™t!

I get the reasons for concern - we have been down this road before under different scenarios. Player is injured, and it then becomes a series of injury after injury, over many seasons. Gumby is the obvious one. Winderlich was another who you dreaded hearing he had pulled up at training or during a game. Myers another. But these players picked themselves up and tried as hard as they could to get back to being fit. Then thereā€™s the Laycock box. Regularly injured, but with concerns as to his effort to get his body right for AFL footy. That makes for a road to frustration. There is also the Reimers category ā€“ you got the skills but you donā€™t have the attitude to work hard enough to do what is required/expected. Our loss is scienceā€™s gain.

Bad luck is bad luck (re: Gumby, Winders, Myers) and stuff just happens and itā€™s not your fault you cop an injury or your body is just built the way it is. But if a player doesnā€™t put in what is required to be AFL competitive then that is frustrating for club and supporters.

I have no idea what category Francis fits into. Thatā€™s assuming there is some ongoing injury concerns about him. It may just be a bad start to a career with some annoying injuries that he/club will sort out. But the comments above suggests things are not quite right. AFL is an unforgiving sport and a lot is expected of you on the training track and the field. And it will challenge you both physically and mentally. If you are not up to it you wonā€™t survive. I hope Francis gets himself physically and mentally together because I really like the way he plays. I love his straight hard attack at the ball and the player.

5 Likes

Like CJohns said, it really is 99% to do with the mental side of things than the physical. If he somehow manages to find that spark, motivation and purpose to apply himself then we will see physical improvements allowing his talents to flourish. I hope like hell it happens. Itā€™s going to be tough. Hope he has a heap of support around him, heā€™ll need that. But ultimately it will have to come from within.

Great post Doe. However the concern for me is that itā€™s not only the injured thing, itā€™s also the attitude thing.

Gumbleton, despite being injury riddled, did everything he could and gave himself the best possible opportunity to get himself right. Ditto Winderlich. Ditto Myers.

Does Francis have the same attitude? Or is he more a Courtney Dempsey type where we know heā€™s talented but we are also forever waiting for the mental switch to be flicked on?

1 Like

Spot on.

Gumby was one of the unluckiest footballers we have had in the last 20 years. He had debilitating back injuries and hamstrings made of cotton.

Francis has only himself to blame for where he is at.

Unfair to compare the two.

3 Likes

Gumby was one of the most broken players to walk into this club in recent history but will probably end up playing more senior games than Franga.

His brother passed a couple years ago, give the kid a fkin break.
A young boy, away from his family, trying to 'becomeā€™an elite athlete on the back of a massive event in his life that would have shaken him to the core.

Donā€™t underestimate the minds effect on the body and immune system.

19 Likes

I agree with this.

Patience is required.

I just think that the Gumby/Francis comparisons are unfair on Gumby who did all that he could to make it at AFL level.

Iā€™m still hopeful that Francis can get there.

2 Likes

FFS Blitz FFS.

11 Likes

His brother passed away over three years ago. If he is still struggling mentally to get over it then we need to get a full time psych at the club and make Aaron their number 1 priority.

2 Likes

3 years?

My mum passed when I was 25, I had counselling, pills (bandaid solution), and support.
I only got to a point where I didnā€™t feel affected on a daily basis after 10 years.

You make it sound like after 3 years he should be able to ā€˜get over itā€™.

Not the case.

14 Likes

This really needs to stop.

7 Likes

Really? Why?

Should I take your lead on being measured?

1 Like

By the way I fully acknowledge sincerely Francisā€™s past. Footy is a very tough sport mentally so I am more saying itā€™s just a fact he needs to be mentally in the game very soon or it will slip past him. If he canā€™t then itā€™s more a sad story rather than me telling him off. Most say be patient but the average career is under 5-6 years so it unfortunately is critical he pushes through this barrier soonā€¦a harsh reality of professional sport. I support the kid 100%

7 Likes

Didnt mean it to sound like he ā€˜shouldā€™ be over it. Some people bury their heads in work to distract them, some people manage to move on reasonably quickly, some take a lot longer- thats fine. However, if Aaron is in the latter category then he needs immediate help or his football career could very well slip away.

Yes, youā€™re spot on.

All Iā€™m saying is, in addition to him starting behind the 8 ball physically from juniors, this is also a factor.

Best everyone reduce expectations to avoid disappointment>>> And focus on all the pluses we have atm.

Begley/Fana/Walla no high draft picks there :wink:

There are probably better role models for restraint, but I donā€™t mind you looking to me in regards to these things.

Francis has suffered a close personal loss, is injured (and not for the first timeā€¦and if someone can point out how hip-flexor injuries are attitude related, thenā€¦you know, fine), and is a medium tall whose peers have also struggled to make a mark in the seniors yet.

I donā€™t think you have any idea how much Francis ā€˜has himself to blame forā€™ even if you knew him.

But thatā€™s just my opinion.

3 Likes